We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • FWIW, the old stuff is just as relevant today as it was a mere 3 years ago. I get what the OP is saying, but also would caution not to discount the docs, be it Evo or Revo. Not a lot out there that has been documented is actually erroneous when it comes to MODX.

MODX hasn't changed so much that the docs are irrelevant. However, it's the same issue as always, the docs are written as if one knows many of the basics that those more familiar with the product take for granted. Those who are coming in new, still find the documentation obscure.

The date referenced in this thread a few posts ago as the last time the install/update documentation was edited is around the last time I made any changes personally. And it was not a big change that I recall editing. But that is the manual install/update version that is actually about as "old scool" as it comes if we compare to the various current methods of simply installing or updating.

Amongst other tasks...

Doesn't mean the "old school" ways and documentation doesn't apply. Learning the basics even when there's updated tools available is a good thing, IMO.

Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
      "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
      Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
      • 4 Posts
      Quote from: BobRay at Sep 20, 2018, 02:43 AM
      I had the same problem installing on localhost with XAMPP. The docs mostly assume that you're installing on Apache or something similar, where the rewrite base does not need a reference to the subdirectory. Also, if you had installed MODX in the web root (htdocs) rather than the subdirectory, it would not have been necessary.

Bottom line: yours is a somewhat rare case. I looked over the various docs on using MODX with XAMPP (including one of mine), and you're right that your issue is not addressed in them and it certainly should be.

Your experience is not typical and I hope you'll continue to give MODX a chance now that your problem is solved.

If you're using MODX Revolution, be sure to include "revolution" in any Google searches. That will keep you away from MODX Evolution information that may not be relevant. It's not a bad idea to try including MODX Forums in the search string as well.

Hi BobRay,
      The fact is I installed MODX in a folder within htdocs, so the path is:
      htdocs >> modx
      Where the folder "modx" is where i put everything and that gave an error in the sense that when I tried to "View" my page it would jump back to localhost root.

However I will continue, as I now fixed this issue, so onwards from here, but it is very tedious to run into these kind of issues when it is that hard to find the solution in any form of documentation.

And thanks for the note on Google searches smiley

//Carsten
        • 24,544 Posts
        Right. What I meant was that it wasn't necessary to put the install in the modx subdirectory (or any subdirectory). Everything that is in the modx dir. could have gone in htdocs, in which case your rewrite base would be just a slash.

FYI, when you create a MODX site on a remote server, the odds are that the rewrite base will be just a slash even if you put MODX in a subdirectory since you'll be pointing the domain at the subdirectory.

Since you have things working, I wouldn't change anything -- just mentioning this for future reference.

Welcome to MODX. smiley

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting