We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 27 Posts
    I was gonna upgrade my Modx 2.5.1. installation, but before I started I wanted to upgrade all my add-ons. Unfortunately that can't be done anymore.
    After I click "Install" on one of the add-ons, I get to a page with some a license agreement etc. It's when clicking "Continue" my problems start. I get an almost white page with the text "Console running..." and some greyed out buttons. Everything is locked until I refresh the page. Needless to say, the updates didn't install.

Any help on how to fix this would be much appreciated.

This question has been answered by krizinbizz. See the first response.

• 185 Posts
      Hi,
      Did you find anything inside MODX error log? Browser DevTools(for Chrome or similar for yours browser) might be also helpful - you can find some JS("Console " tab) or connection("Network" tab) errors there.
        Anton Tarasov
        MODX Developer

Email: [email protected]
        Web: antontarasov.com
      • discuss.answer
        • 27 Posts
        Hi and thanks for helping me out.

The error log says "[2018-08-08 11:48:28] (ERROR @ /home/***/public_html/core/xpdo/om/xpdoobject.class.php : 811) feoDownload: Attempt to set NOT NULL field referer to NULL", but I don't know if it's related to this. I cleared the log and tried installing a package again. The error log was still empty.

I tried your next suggestion, the browser devtools. It seems when I click on "Continue" it starts loading everything that is on the frontpage of my website. This reminds me of something that happens when I am creating a new document. If I choose to change the template of the document before I have saved it, it redirects me to the frontpage of my website. I don't know if there could be a connection between the two issues?
        • The frontpage is often used as error page - perhaps you have file permission issues on certain core files or an overly aggressive WAF (firewall) that looks at your request, thinks it's malicious, and sends it to an error page?
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 27 Posts
            Ok, perhaps I should check with the webservercompany if they have done any changes on the firewall.

Is it possible to install/update add-ons by copying files directly into the filestructure? Maybe that's the approach I have to take on this.
              • 24,544 Posts
              Most extras install chunks, snippets, plugins, template variables, templates, and/or System Settings, so installing them manually would be quite a chore.

Also, consider the possibility that your site has been hacked. Due to two recently discovered vulnerabilities in MODX < 2.6.5, there's been a lot of hacking of MODX sites in the late few weeks.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting