We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    I upgraded a site to 2.6.5 and thought all was okay but the manager seems to be developing a bit of a weird intermittent, but often, behavior. When I click on something within the manager, resulting in the manager page to reload, the page will lose the top few inches of the manager page. As if the top header gets tucked underneath the top part of the browser window. When I refresh the browser, the page usually reloads okay. Sometimes it takes two or three reloads to get it to come back properly.

I've cleared the site cache, as well as the browser cache. I've used different browsers, each with cleared caches.

Just for the heck of it, I've looked at that error log in the manager and found the following entries...over and over and over...about a megabyte of error messages. I don't believe it is directly related to the above issue, but maybe it can shed some light or clue to anyone reading this:

... [2018-08-03 16:43:17] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:17] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:17] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:30] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:31] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:31] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:43:58] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class.
    [2018-08-03 16:49:18] (ERROR @ /home/username/public_html/core/components/formit/src/FormIt/Request.php : 87) [FormIt] Could not load FormItReCaptcha service class. ...

...over and over and over.

Any thoughts? I appreciate it in advance.
      • 342 Posts
      So, this is still an on-going problem that manifests itself after just a few page reloads. Yes, I did clear the core/cache. I also, just for grins, tried to recreate this issue from my computer at home, and it did manifest there as well.

I just ran the Firefox web developer console as the issue happened and the following error message was displayed. Note that this error message does not display when the manager is operating normally. Not that it matters but note that the manager name on the actual site has been changed to something else; I renamed the one in this error message below to the default name of "manager":

TypeError: this.mask.addClass is not a function[Learn More] modx.window.js:60:13
      onShow https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/modext/widgets/core/modx.window.js:60:13
      afterShow https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:375922
      show https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:375343
      show https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:387123
      onAjaxException https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/modext/core/modx.js:122:13
      fire https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:3690
      fireEvent https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:680
      handleFailure https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/ext-all.js:21:51276
      f https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/adapter/ext/ext-base.js:21:18130
      m https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/adapter/ext/ext-base.js:21:18302
      createCallback/< https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/ext3/adapter/ext/ext-base.js:21:8602

Thank you in advance for any help.

MODx 2.6.5
      PHP 7
        • 342 Posts
        Below is what I get when I use Chrome's developer tool:

ext-base.js:21 POST https://www.domain.com/connectors/index.php?action=resource/getNodes&id=root 404 (Not Found)
        i @ ext-base.js:21
        request @ ext-base.js:21
        request @ ext-all.js:21
        requestData @ ext-all.js:21
        load @ ext-all.js:21
        expand @ ext-all.js:21
        fn @ modx.tree.js:179
        fire @ ext-all.js:21
        fireEvent @ ext-all.js:21
        render @ ext-all.js:21
        renderItem @ ext-all.js:21
        renderAll @ ext-all.js:21
        onLayout @ ext-all.js:21
        layout @ ext-all.js:21
        setActiveItem @ ext-all.js:21
        setActiveTab @ ext-all.js:21
        onStripMouseDown @ ext-all.js:21
        I @ ext-all.js:21

modx.window.js:60 Uncaught TypeError: this.mask.addClass is not a function
        at S.onShow (modx.window.js:60)
        at S.afterShow (ext-all.js:21)
        at S.show (ext-all.js:21)
        at Object.show (ext-all.js:21)
        at MODx.onAjaxException (modx.js?v=09190bbb:122)
        at h.Event.fire (ext-all.js:21)
        at Ext.data.Connection.fireEvent (ext-all.js:21)
        at Ext.data.Connection.handleFailure (ext-all.js:21)
        at f (ext-base.js:21)
        at m (ext-base.js:21)
        onShow @ modx.window.js:60
        afterShow @ ext-all.js:21
        show @ ext-all.js:21
        onAjaxException @ modx.js?v=09190bbb:122
        handleFailure @ ext-all.js:21
        f @ ext-base.js:21
        m @ ext-base.js:21
        (anonymous) @ ext-base.js:21
        setInterval (async)
        n @ ext-base.js:21

foot-cloud-wide.png:1 GET https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/img/common/foot-cloud-wide.png 404 (Not Found)
        Image (async)
        update @ ext-all.js:21
        updateText @ ext-all.js:21
        setInterval (async)

foot-cloud-narrow.png:1 GET https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/img/common/foot-cloud-narrow.png 404 (Not Found)
        Image (async)
        setInterval (async)

Contact-Us-Banner.jpg:1 GET https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/img/main-images/Contact-Us-Banner.jpg 404 (Not Found)
        Image (async)
        setInterval (async)

logo.png:1 GET https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/img/common/logo.png 404 (Not Found)
        Image (async)
        setInterval (async)

404-image.jpg:1 GET https://www.domain.com/manager/assets/img/common/404-image.jpg 404 (Not Found)
        Image (async)
        setInterval (async)
          • 24,544 Posts
          Try visiting the manager with your browser in Private or Incognito mode. Sometimes a leftover cookie can cause weird effects in the Manager after an upgrade.

If that helps, clearing your browser cache and cookies will fix things. If not, I'd try disabling some plugins and widgets, especially ones that could conflict with the Manager JS.

Finally, you could just have a missing or corrupted file. Try a re-download and running setup.

You didn't, by chance transfer the new files individually with FTP? That often results in missing or corrupted files.

If you used UpgradeMODX, it's possible that some existing files didn't get over-written due to file permissions.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 342 Posts
            Thanks, Bob, for responding. So, I just found another site exhibiting similar symptoms, only with the second one, almost the entire page does not load. Then, when I reload the page again, it comes back. It also shows the same errors in the manager error log. However, I don't know if it is directly related to Formit in any way. This is after upgrading and Formit's been part of my MODx builds for many years.

Quote from: BobRay at Aug 06, 2018, 06:57 PM
            Try visiting the manager with your browser in Private or Incognito mode. Sometimes a leftover cookie can cause weird effects in the Manager after an upgrade.

Good idea, I'll try that but I was able to reproduce the same symptoms from my personal computer at home, which I had never visited the site with before.

If that helps, clearing your browser cache and cookies will fix things. If not, I'd try disabling some plugins and widgets, especially ones that could conflict with the Manager JS.

I'm going to try that with Formit (BTW, all plugins were updated just before I upgraded MODx).

Finally, you could just have a missing or corrupted file. Try a re-download and running setup.

You didn't, by chance transfer the new files individually with FTP? That often results in missing or corrupted files.

No, I always upload the MODx zip to the server and then use cPanel to extract, then move files from the extracted directory using the cPanel file manager.

If you used UpgradeMODX, it's possible that some existing files didn't get over-written due to file permissions.

I checked file permissions throughout. Directories are 0755 and files 0644. I've used a combination of UpgradeMODx and manual upgrade for the oldest ones. I've found that UpgradeMODx works great on sites with MODx 2.3.0 and newer. However, both of the sites in question here were new enough where I believe I used UpgradeMODx. Still, this problem hasn't manifested on other sites where I used UpgradeMODx. I have a feeling this is coming from something else.

But, I do have a question. Now that a second site is displaying the same symptom (only worse), I've been wondering about whether my server is completely set up correctly regarding PHP 7 (I do have some different buggy behavior on other sites after upgrade to 2.6.5). I checked the server requirements on this page:

https://docs.modx.com/revolution/2.x/getting-started/server-requirements

...but it seems a bit too old, having been published in Aug 10, 2017. I'm trying to check exactly what functions/extensions my PHP 7 (my 2.6.5 upgraded sites are set for PHP 7) need to have to run 2.6.5 on PHP 7 properly. Does anyone have a comprehensive listing of functions/extensions? Please take a look at the screen capture I attached here. That is the way my server's PHP 7 is currently set up.

Thank you for any help.
              • 24,544 Posts
              I don't see anything missing from the PHP package that would affect the manager. The only thing that comes to mind looking at it is mbstring. I read that some fields in the MODX DB were shortened to take account of mbstring. If you skipped over some x.x.0 versions of MODX, you might have missed those changes, though I don't know which fields were affected, and I think that would just lead to truncated content rather than missing parts of the Manager display.

You might try repairing all the DB tables in PhpMyAdmin. It can't hurt.

Something else to try if you have UpgradeMODX. Set the settings_version System Setting back to an earlier version (it doesn't have to be a real version). Then you can "upgrade" to your current version with UpgradeMODX. It will re-download and re-install all the files. You may have to delete the core/cache/upgrademodx/versionlist file to convince UGM that it's time to upgrade (but probably not).

Was your site hacked? There may be some mischief you missed in cleaning it -- most likely inside a JavaScript file.
                My MODX Extras
                • 342 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Aug 06, 2018, 08:18 PM
                I don't see anything missing from the PHP package that would affect the manager. The only thing that comes to mind looking at it is mbstring. I read that some fields in the MODX DB were shortened to take account of mbstring. If you skipped over some x.x.0 versions of MODX, you might have missed those changes, though I don't know which fields were affected, and I think that would just lead to truncated content rather than missing parts of the Manager display.

You might try repairing all the DB tables in PhpMyAdmin. It can't hurt.

I'll give that a shot. However, I was pretty diligent about going through my manual upgrades with x.x.0 versions (saw that written in another thread somewhere), up until version 2.3.0, where I would let UpgradeMODX do the rest. One of the ones referred here started as 2.3.3 and the other as 2.4.1. As I recall, I allowed UpgradeMODx to handle both of them.

Something else to try if you have UpgradeMODX. Set the settings_version System Setting back to an earlier version (it doesn't have to be a real version). Then you can "upgrade" to your current version with UpgradeMODX. It will re-download and re-install all the files. You may have to delete the core/cache/upgrademodx/versionlist file to convince UGM that it's time to upgrade (but probably not).

I'll give that a try also. Can I first delete the entire content of the core/cache?

BTW, as an aside, and not sure if it provides any kind of clue...does UpgradeMODX download the CMS as a compressed file and then extract/install? Or, does it download the CMS already extracted?

Was your site hacked? There may be some mischief you missed in cleaning it -- most likely inside a JavaScript file.

The two sites I refer to here were hacked (along with a bunch of other ones) but were restored with clean versions and then upgraded to the latest version of MODx (as well as packages). Regarding db tables being corrupted, etc., I wonder if it wouldn't be one heck of a coincidence to have two sites with the same, or similar, tables being corrupted. Could happen, I guess.

I do have other sites with other weird behaviors, though, for instance, one where I can't select an image within TinyMCE after I've uploaded and placed it through the editor (the cursor remains an "I" bar as I hover over the image in the editor) and, when I drag my cursor over the image, the image scales up and down like the screen of a smart phone does when you pinch it. Weird, huh? That happens with editors logged in as well as the administrator.

Then, there is another site where I can't find out why Gallery (which was updated to the latest) all of a sudden doesn't display images on the front of the site any more, although it does in the control panel. I posted that weirdness here: https://forums.modx.com/thread/104187/gallery-1-7-1-no-longer-showing-images-in-site-after-2-6-5-upgrade.

...and a bunch more, although I'll save those for their own threads.
                  • 342 Posts
                  So, repairing db tables and reinstalling 2.6.5 didn't work. Frustrated.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    On more thing to try: remove all widgets from your default dashboard (don't delete the widgets, just remove them from the dashboard).

If that doesn't help, I hate to say it, but since you've exhausted the other possibilities, it might be time for an old-fashioned upgrade as described here: https://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html.

If that doesn't work, maybe you haven't completely cleaned the sites and there is some residue from the hack.

My MODX Extras
                      • 342 Posts
                      Thanks, Bob. Not afraid of the old fashioned way to do it, just hoped to save some time using your extension.

Just to be clear, when you say to remove all widgets from the dashboard, do you mean to uninstall them (but not remove them from the grid) through the Extras>Installer section? Or is there a way to actually turn each off without uninstalling? Something like WordPress' deactivate link for each plugin?

Or, are you talking about the stuff on the landing page of the manager, which is what I always pictured to be the dashboard. I assume not, since that area only has the usual "Who's Online" "Recently Edited Resources" and the Upgrade MODx snippet.

I think I'm getting thrown off by the terminology. Thanks for your continued help, by the way, Bob.