We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 40 Posts
    I'm getting so tired of this now - after upgrading, now two of the same sites hacked again.

And I moved the Core Dir with one - like people have said the files infected are all over the place with different date stamps.

I'm just a simple web designer who has used MODX over the years, I'm not a full on security / server expert and I SHOULD NOT HAVE TO BE DOING THIS!!! (excuse the rant)

I've deleted various files as per the list below but obviously some of the files were system files so I'm now unable to see / use the full functionality of Manager.

I'm going to do a system restore but that's what I did before so somehow they are getting in?

I'm not happy !!

Scanning [/home/wwwstyle] ... Please wait...
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [06/09/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [31/08/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/config/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [28/01/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/export/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [05/10/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/xpdo/index.php
    [GEN]obfuscated_globals [25/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/xpdo/om/mysql/xpdodriver.class.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [20/10/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/lexicon/index.php
    [GEN]obfuscated_globals [25/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/lexicon/uk/resource.inc.php
    [GEN]obfuscated_globals [25/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/lexicon/da/propertyset.inc.php
    [GEN]obfuscated_globals [25/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/lexicon/th/user.inc.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [09/05/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/model/index.php
    [HEX]obfuscated_php_code_5 [26/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/model/aws/services/vgstnoho.php
    [HEX]obfuscated_php_code_5 [26/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/model/smarty/plugins/fnqyhgym.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [26/12/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/docs/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [22/12/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/error/index.php
    [GEN]obfuscated_globals [25/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/components/formit/includes/us.states.inc.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [20/04/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/import/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [08/06/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/packages/index.php
    [HEX]stream_context_func [01/08/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/packages/seopro-1.0.3-pl/.2ce06750.ico
    [HEX]obfuscated_php_code_5 [30/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/packages/upgrademodx-1.5.5-pl/71a12c4a.php
    [HEX]obfuscated_php_code_5 [26/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/core/packages/simplesearch-1.9.2-pl/modCategory/faxkdjgx.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [18/10/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/css_new/imports/index.php
    [HEX]obfuscated_php_code_5 [26/07/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/images/Alti-trade/vznkohmu.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [17/10/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/connectors/security/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [27/11/17] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/connectors/index.php
    [HEX]php_include_obf_local [04/06/18] /home/wwwstyle/public_html/connectors/system/index.php
    -----------------------------------------
    Scanned Files : 37165
    Scanner Hits : 25
    Time Taken : 100 (sec)
    Scan Report: report-020818-110538

This question has been answered by gavinbaylis. See the first response.

[ed. note: gavinbaylis last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
      • 342 Posts
      @gavinbaylis, I'm not a security/server expert, either, but I'm wondering how old your restore files are. If from really recent backups, maybe you may be restoring already-affected backups?

We got hit pretty hard too but the restore files we used were from backups taken back on July 5th, I believe. In one case, a lot farther back than that. We also cleared the account first before restoring.

Probably not much to offer here, but maybe it helps a bit. [ed. note: waizen last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
        • 342 Posts
        One other thing that may or may not apply to your case. Take a look at the server, or have the server people do this for you, to check for any running processes and cron jobs that may be opening up some doors again. I'm personally not an expert in this area but there were some that were found on our system. Then, it was just a simple matter to kill them off.
        • discuss.answer
          • 40 Posts
          Last time I did a restore and scan showed all Dirs clean - I'm now in the process of doing another restore and will ask for another scan.

I'm seriously considering shelling out for this for one of my big sites and if it's good getting those more important clients of mine to do the same.

https://sucuri.net/website-security-platform/signup