We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    On a MODx site I have about 20 users that I had given limited permissions to see and edit only one resource each. I followed the same procedure to add each one (procedure steps listed below) and all was working fine.

At some point, I discovered that when I log in as a user, the resource is no longer visible in the manager. In the left column, the "web" shows up at the top but the resource assigned to that account is no longer showing. The resource does display while logged in as Administrator.

Maybe not related, but the little down-arrow icon that is supposed to show next to the "web" shows for a second, then goes away. I keep wondering if there is some permission setting somewhere that kicks in later in the manager loading process, telling it not to show...I don't know.

BTW, when I had added all the accounts, the site was running MODx 2.4.1 but has since been upgraded to 2.6.5, but the problem is still there. I discovered the problem while it was still 2.4.1 and did not fix itself when I upgraded.

This is a rough listing of the steps I used to set up each account and associated user/resource. Please note that I am taking advantage of Bob Ray's great DefaultResourceGroup extra to automatically add each resource to the administrator user group:

1. Create resource (web page with dedicated template)

2. Create User

3. Content (top menu) > Resource Groups
    a. Create Resource Group (green button)
    b. Name | Contexts: mgr

4. Content (top menu) > Resource Groups
    a. Drag/drop newly created resource to the newly created resource group.

5. Access Control Lists Section (gear icon > Access Control Lists)
    a. User Groups & Users tab > New User Group button
    b. Add Name | Contexts: web,mgr | Manager Policy: (name of already-created ACL) | Save
    c. Gear Icon > Access Control Lists > User Groups & Users tab > Right-Click user group > Update User Group > Users tab > Add User to Group
    d. User: (user) | Role: (select pre-made user role name)
    e. Permissions tab: Context Access > Add Context
    1. Add 2 (may already be done), one for web and another for mgr
    2. Make sure each have proper pre-made Minimum Role and Access Policy
    f. Permissions: Resource Group Access | Add Resource Group button
    1. Resource Group (name of group)
    2. Context: mgr
    3. Minimum Role: (pre-made minimum role)
    4. Access Policy: Resource
    g. Click save.

6. Manage > Flush Your Permissions

7. Manage > Clear Cache

8. Manage > Logout all users to destroy all sessions

9. Test the user account

Can anyone spot anything I missed or did wrong? Like I said, it was working then for some reason it didn't but I have no clue as to why.

Thank you in advance.

MODx 2.6.5
    PHP Version 7.0.30

• 571 Posts
      I have not had time to read your full explanation yet, but I wonder if there is anything showing up in either the MODX Error Logs or the server PHP Error logs? Is it possible that the problem originally appeared when you upgraded PHP?

If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com