We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 342 Posts
    Are you sure Galley is the culprit?

At work, we had around 10 sites hit, resulting in a week from hell. Many had Gallery installed, many didn't. Okay, possibly the hack migrated around the server? Is that possible?

However, on my own server I have only two MODx sites, neither with Gallery installed and one of them got hit anyway. [ed. note: waizen last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
      • 322 Posts
      So, are these hacks SPECIFICALLY targeting MODX, or do they affect other sites as well?
        • 15 Posts
        Quote from: waizen at Jul 30, 2018, 03:05 PM
        Are you sure Galley is the culprit?

At work, we had around 10 sites hit, resulting in a week from hell. Many had Gallery installed, many didn't. Okay, possibly the hack migrated around the server? Is that possible?

However, on my own server (HostGator reseller account) I have only two MODx sites, neither with Gallery installed and one of them got hit anyway.
        Both MODX < 2.6.5 and Gallery are vulnerable. Not only Gallery.

Quote from: rainbowtiger at Jul 30, 2018, 03:13 PM
        So, are these hacks SPECIFICALLY targeting MODX, or do they affect other sites as well?
        This one is specifically targeting MODX.
          • 185 Posts
          Quote from: rainbowtiger at Jul 30, 2018, 03:13 PM
          During my updates(it will be almost thirty soon) there were Wordpress oriented files too аmong extraneous... btw I saw Wordpress security message, they released it at about the same time as MODX world began to suffer, which suggests that the exploit can be targeted not at MODX only
            Anton Tarasov
            MODX Developer

Email: [email protected]
            Web: antontarasov.com