We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    I wonder if someone can help out a novice...

This week I had to jump in with both feet top restore and upgrade a MODX site from version 2.2+ to 2.6.5 after it was hacked.

I really don't know much about MODX, but I'm delighted to say the site is fully working.

HOWEVER... there were a number of back-end functions accessible from the MODX Manager which I have now, ahem, lost!

These functions were built by original developers and I don't have a way of contacting them. I think they were all built using MIGX. They include things like reports on who submitted a newsletter sign-up form.

There were links to these items in the top Manager menu, but they're not there any more. And when I go to Manager > Settings > Menus it is apparent that these items should be listed in the Top Menu, but they aren't actually *in* the Top Menu.

Is there another step in the upgrade that I need to complete? All of the Extras in Package Management seem to be up-to-date.

It's not so much the fact that they're missing from the menu - more that I have no idea how to otherwise access those functions (or if indeed they have been restored correctly)

I'd be very grateful for a pointer!
      • 24,544 Posts
      This explains the most likely culprit for issues when you jump a lot of versions: https://bobsguides.com/blog.html/2016/06/27/missing-db-fields-(unknown-column)/
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,572 Posts
        Personally I would restore a backup, then upgrade to 2.3 then 2.4 then 2.5, then 2.6 then 2.6.5.

After every upgrade delete everything in the core>>cache folder and don't worry about the manager breaking on the 2.3 and 2.4 upgrade, it should fix its-self on the 2.5 upgrade.

Once you have upgraded to 2.6 upgrade all addons and install BobRays upgrademodx add-on,
          • 24,544 Posts
          If you use the UpgradeMODX extra to upgrade, you don't need to delete the core files, it does it for you.

I think you can use it in 2.2. It installs a resource called UpgradeMODX that you can view to run it if MODX doesn't have widgets yet.

Set the versionsToShow property of the UpgradeMODX widget snippet to 99 so the version list will extend far enough back for you. You may have to manually delete the core/cache files to get the change to take effect.
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 2 Posts
            Thanks for your suggestions, guys.