We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 128 Posts
    The website I manage was hacked. I've managed to upgrade and get the live website back working but I can't do anything in the CMS as everytime I click anywhere it diverts to spam pages. I can't even log out to clear the cache and flush permissions.

I've replaced all the js files which might have been the problem. I see from the control panel it says core folder is accessible by web. How do I fix this so that it is secure?

And how do I get access back to the CMS?
      • 35 Posts
      You will need to load a backup of all the files. Then upgrade Modx to 2.6.5 and then upgrade the Gallery extra to 1.7.1.

That's the only thing that worked for me.
        • 128 Posts
        Thanks, I managed to upgrade it to 2.6.5 but I can't access the CMS to upgrade any extras. Is the only way to delete the extras via cpanel then reinstall?
          • 128 Posts
          The most recent backup I have I think contains the hacks, I'm not sure I have a backup before then, would need to check.
            • 1,154 Posts
            Quote from: evegate94 at Jul 25, 2018, 10:02 AM
            Thanks, I managed to upgrade it to 2.6.5 but I can't access the CMS to upgrade any extras. Is the only way to delete the extras via cpanel then reinstall?

Yes that's the best way, deleting in cpanel
              • 185 Posts
              Quote from: evegate94 at Jul 25, 2018, 10:04 AM
              The most recent backup I have I think contains the hacks, I'm not sure I have a backup before then, would need to check.
              Ideally if the backup is older than 7-10 days.
                Anton Tarasov
                MODX Developer

Email: [email protected]
                Web: antontarasov.com
                • 128 Posts
                Many thanks! I've deleted the components which gave me back access. I have now reinstalled.

Now when I install the gallery extra this seems to bring back virus popups! Is the gallery extra to be avoided now? Is there a way to get it back without viruses?
                  • 35 Posts
                  Gallery v1.7.1 has been patched so make sure you use that version
                    • 128 Posts
                    Ah thanks, I think I was viewing a cached page as have emptied and fingers crossed seems ok now.
                      • 35 Posts
                      Remember to rename /core/ht.access to core/.htaccess