We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!

Answered Modx Exploit

• 35 Posts
    Found this:

Link removed

Does upgrading to 2.6.5 patch that?

Edit: I removed the link

This question has been answered by markh. See the first response.

[ed. note: scoder last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
      • 141 Posts
      Hmmm!!! Probably not the best thing to be posting here. Still, I took a look at the exploit script. From what I can tell it would not affect sites which use an advanced install and rename certain directories. Is this correct?
        Glyn Szasz
        Sydney, Australia

Happy to help (when can) and happy to learn

If you are a Sydney based MODX developer would love to hear from you. Please contact me.
        • 1,145 Posts
        Yes. Very simple simple way to avoid certain hazardous exploits.
        Please people, rename these folders ASAP

ASSETS

CONNECTORS

MANAGER

Password-protect CONNECTORS AND MANAGER AND CORE

And remove CORE from web access [ed. note: donshakespeare last edited this post 5 years, 9 months ago.]
          TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
          Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
          5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • discuss.answer
          Yes, that exploits what was fixed in MODX 2.6.5 and Gallery 1.7.1. The exploit has been making the rounds and is actively being used, so updating now is critical if you haven't.

Renaming/locking down the folders is an optional hardening procedure that can buy you a little time against the automated attacks going around, but should NOT be seen as adequate security against these vulnerabilities. Only upgrading keeps you safe.

Quote from: glynszasz at Jul 24, 2018, 04:36 AM
          Hmmm!!! Probably not the best thing to be posting here. Still, I took a look at the exploit script. From what I can tell it would not affect sites which use an advanced install and rename certain directories. Is this correct?

If you use Gallery, that will be is in the same location 99.9% of the time, even in an advanced installation where core/connectors/manager are all renamed. Renaming the connectors directory buys you some time from that PoC and naive exploits, but if you get targetted it's NOT going to keep you safe. Always upgrade.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 35 Posts
            Thanks Mark. I had an attack and my whole server went crazy with malware redirects. I ended up removing all the files, loading a backup and quickly upgraded each of them to 2.6.5 seemed solved it. I also removed the gallery extra.

Would this improve security too? Perhaps instead of renaming folders?

https://forums.modx.com/thread/89090/protip-kcfinder-thumbnails-vs-phpthumb-relic#dis-post-490005
              • 1,145 Posts
              Here is what a MODX Expert has reported. He runs a huge enterprise at https://modx.pro/

@bezumkin
              No one my site was hacked because of this simple Nginx rule:
              Works for years...
              location ~* ^/(manager|core|connectors)/ {
                  auth_basic "Restricted Access";
                  auth_basic_user_file /home/yourlogin/.htpasswd;
                  try_files               $uri $uri/ @rewrite;
                  location ~ \.php$ {
                      include         fastcgi_params;
                      fastcgi_param   SCRIPT_FILENAME $document_root$fastcgi_script_name;
                      fastcgi_pass    backend-yourlogin;
                  }
              }

He has passworded those three folders. As for Gallery Extra ... another story.
              And if you use Apache, use its own method.
                Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
                5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
                • 141 Posts
                @donshakespeare
                How would you apply this Nginx solution to a Apache server. Is it just a matter of editing .htaccess? If so what should be written?
                  Glyn Szasz
                  Sydney, Australia

Happy to help (when can) and happy to learn

If you are a Sydney based MODX developer would love to hear from you. Please contact me.
                  • 1,145 Posts
                  If you are using cPanel or some other server manager, there should be a visual way for you to do that.

OR

Apache config file? for multiple folders
                  See https://serverfault.com/questions/476443/apache-authentication-for-multiple-directories

Or use .htaccess per directory
                  http://www.htaccesstools.com/articles/password-protection/

Note, this will not help against faulty Extras in the Assets folder. Just update those ones or delete them
                    • 416 Posts
                    Quote from: glynszasz at Jul 25, 2018, 01:10 AM
                    @donshakespeare
                    How would you apply this Nginx solution to a Apache server. Is it just a matter of editing .htaccess? If so what should be written?

I would also be interested in knowing what to put in htaccess for apache servers on shared hosting. Writing this stuff is way above my pay grade.
                      • 185 Posts
                      Hi Terry,

For each in ("manager","core","conectors") do{
                         1. Create .htpasswd file using htpasswd generator(see link below)
                         2.Create .htaccess inside folder
                         3. write there
                           AuthName "Input password"
                           AuthType Basic
                           AuthUserFile /path/to/hardened/folder/.htpasswd
                           Require valid-user
                      }

Should work for each folder. Generator: http://www.htaccesstools.com/htpasswd-generator/
                        Anton Tarasov
                        MODX Developer

Email: [email protected]
                        Web: antontarasov.com