We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 26 Posts
    Hello

Can anyone help with the following please?

We are trying to upgrade from version 2.2.15.

I have followed the instructions and tried to upgrade manually and also used UpgradeMODX but both result in the following error when trying to enter /setup.

FATAL ERROR: MODX Setup cannot continue.

Make sure your PHP session configuration is valid and working.

We are relatively new to modx so are unsure how best to proceed.

Any help appreciated.

David
    • That's an issue with the server, as the message indicates. The setup runs a check to make sure sessions work on your server, and apparently, that check fails. I'm not immediately sure how to resolve that, other than to recommend reaching out to your host or server admin to look at why PHP sessions don't work.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 26 Posts
        Thanks Mark for your reply.

I will contact the hosting company.

David
          • 26 Posts
          Hello

Thanks for your help.

They have fixed something that enabled the setup process to complete.

The frontend of the site is fine but logging in to the site /manager just returns a blank screen.

Any advice appreciated.

David
            • 268 Posts
            I had something similar. It's now mandatory to upgrade old sites that never lived because of the last security breach.
            one old 2.216 I made long time ago is hacked but last I tried to update step by step to a recent release. blank page with 2.3 and above after the new setup process. Whatever I cleared the core/cache/ or not...
              • 26 Posts
              Hello

Thanks for your reply.

I have just been able to sort the site.

Have you sorted yours?

Thanks

David