We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,572 Posts
    In light of the current security alert:

Staying Abreast of Releases is Critical
    We cannot stress how important it is to update sites to the latest versions of MODX

I would have thought that the hours spent on FRED would have been better spent building an auto update script that updates the version and all addons when they are released, even the hated wordpress has that, guess were just slipping down the same slope they did, features over security which is very sad as I have been using MODX since the early years !!!!!
      • 1,154 Posts
      Yes we need an update system or some sort of guide that people can follow, its not hard but its also not easy to get the updated info about how to go about it.
        • 101 Posts
        I've spent more time than I ought with FRED today. I'm impressed with it, I have a number of clients who would love this!

ContentBlocks is a core part of what we do and how we do it. It's a great product. With that said, I'm excited to see where FRED will go.
          Shawn Himmelberger
          Himmelberger Design
          https://himmdesign.com/services/website-development/modx"" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> MODx Web Design | https://himmdesign.com/services/website-development/modx"" target="_blank" rel="nofollow"> MODx Web Development
          • 30 Posts
          The more I play around with Fred the more I like it.
          It's very quick to pick up and once you've got your templates set up the front end editing is a breeze.
          I think this is the bit Modx has been missing. Congrats to the developers!

Question though - With the Fred TinyMCE RTE package installed, what should the value be for the Rich Text Editor in Settings?
            • 322 Posts
            I'm trying to get a handle on what FRED can do, without spending a lot of time, which I don't have at the moment. Can it do the following:

1. Use MIGX? For instance, if I have an area with a live chart (like HighCharts) created by data, can Fred have a chart plugin that, in edit mode, shows a row with MIGX that can be edited to create the labels and values for a pie chart?

2. Include TVs? If I have a template set up for staff bios, can Fred edit the photo, job title, email address, etc. when these are set up as TVs?

3. For blogs, can Fred create a new blog post that, in the back end, is in a Collections container?

4. Can it edit the Published and Hide From Menus settings? What about Published dates?

5. Can it create a draft that will go live in the future? E.g., can it be used in combination with Stagecoach, or use some other method of using drafts?

6. Is there any way to move pages around in the tree structure (i.e., move a page to a different menu, or change the order of pages in a menu)?

7. Can you edit pages in the back end easily without messing things up? I imagine a lot of divs of various kinds get inserted into the content field by Fred.

[ed. note: rainbowtiger last edited this post 5 years, 8 months ago.]
              • 109 Posts
              Quote from: crewmark at Jul 31, 2018, 10:24 AM
              The more I play around with Fred the more I like it.
              It's very quick to pick up and once you've got your templates set up the front end editing is a breeze.
              I think this is the bit Modx has been missing. Congrats to the developers!

Question though - With the Fred TinyMCE RTE package installed, what should the value be for the Rich Text Editor in Settings?

TinyMCE
                My Proudly Powerd By Modx site - http://irresistiblemt.in smiley Its simple site but its made in best CMS.
                • 932 Posts
                Quote from: rainbowtiger at Aug 01, 2018, 12:41 PM

1. Use MIGX? For instance, if I have an area with a live chart (like HighCharts) created by data, can Fred have a chart plugin that, in edit mode, shows a row with MIGX that can be edited to create the labels and values for a pie chart?
                No. But you could make the chart a chunk and assign it options to change the values with text or sliders etc.

2. Include TVs? If I have a template set up for staff bios, can Fred edit the photo, job title, email address, etc. when these are set up as TVs?
                Not as TVs as far as I know. As above you would need to setup the bios chunk as a template you could use and then the client could drag them in and populate them.

3. For blogs, can Fred create a new blog post that, in the back end, is in a Collections container?
                Yes (AFAIK - but permissions is currently something Fred is missing and is to be on the next release AFAIK).

4. Can it edit the Published and Hide From Menus settings? What about Published dates?
                Yes

5. Can it create a draft that will go live in the future? E.g., can it be used in combination with Stagecoach, or use some other method of using drafts?
                Only in that the page is not set to publsih - I don't think it has revision versions and I'm not sure about stagecoach or any other.

6. Is there any way to move pages around in the tree structure (i.e., move a page to a different menu, or change the order of pages in a menu)?
                I don't think so.

Sorry if it's not much help on some of the answers. [ed. note: lkfranklin last edited this post 5 years, 8 months ago.]
                  ■ email: [email protected] | ■ website: https://alienbuild.uk

The greatest compliment you can give back to us, is to spend a few seconds leaving a rating at our trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alienbuild.uk about the service we provided. We always drop mention of services offered by businesses we've worked with in the past to those of interest.
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  If it creates a regular resource or Article, I think StageCoach would work with it (I could be wrong), but you'd have to load the resource and the draft into the Create/Edit Resource panel in the Manager to use it.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting