We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • MODx was the first major module to work with Etomite 0.6 and now will become a major overhaul of the CMS-formerly-known-as-Etomite. Etomite is being abandoned by it's developers in favor of a totally new commercial product (which will in all likelihood contain some of the ideas ushered into being by MODx). MODx will always remain licensed as a GPL product and with ongoing development and support, and will carry on the wonderful legacy that Etomite provided.

Over the weekend of March 19th, 2005, the Etomite team banned any referece to MODx and any thread about MODx from its forums -- and admittedly unannounced and surprise move. The only other CMS to attain such "lofty" status is Mambo, another great open source CMS.

We owe Etomite, and particularly Alex, a huge "thanks!" and harbor no ill will or even remotely bad feelings towards them. The project team in fact forced the issue of MODx being a fork, which was probably inevitable and gave us a head start on getting our act together ... another "thanks" owed indeed!

MODx is backward compatible with existing Etomite code, but offers much of what their commercial product will offer (at some point in the future) today. And you've only seen the very tip of the iceberg!
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me