We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 2 Posts
    Hello!

Got old site with Revo 2.0.8pl, how should I upgrade it to newest version?
    Is it still possible to make a step-by-step upgrade just installing 2.1, 2.2 and so on?

Or its better to backup databases and try to move all *contents* tables to brand new 2.5?

• 39 Posts
      I'm on a 2.0.3 system and, after being hacked due to this new security issue that was recently announced, I want to upgrade. But I'm afraid it'll break our system and I don't really have the time to deal with that right now.

Did you ever find an answer to your question?
      Did you do the upgrade and if so, how did it work?

I not, canyone offer suggestions for the best way to upgrade from an old system?
        • 1,572 Posts
        Upgrade to 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 2.4, 2.5, 2.6, 2.6.5

I've done a few today and most broke the manager from 2.2 to 2.4 but I just carried on and 2.5 fixed everything, also make sure you take a backup first of the files and database and you meet the minimum server requirements for 2.6.5

After every upgrade delete everything in the core cache and once on 2.6.5 upgrade all addons

https://modx.com/download, scroll to the bottom
          • 571 Posts
          This can be helpful when upgrading from 2.2.16 to any newer version - checkPolicy is a non Object - error #12764: https://github.com/modxcms/revolution/issues/12764
            If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com
          • You should be able of making larger versions jumps as soon as you're past 2.3. It's the 2.3.0 migrations for modContext.name that is somehow failing to install in some cases.
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • 3 Posts
              Also trying to upgrade 2.0.8-pl to the latest version. However I am running into problems in the first incremental upgrade to 2.1.0-pl.

I've cleared my cache in the manager
              Deleted the cache files on the server
              Turned off FURLs
              Flushed all permissions/sessions and logged out

I've also tried to disable/remove packages but getting an error doing that:

Target directory is either not a directory or writable: /var/www/g36914/foo.nl/HTML/core/packages/
              PHP warning: is_dir(): open_basedir restriction in effect. File(/var/www/g36914/foo.nl/HTML/core/packages/) is not within the allowed path(s): (/usr/share/php/:/var/www/domains/foo.nl/)
              Could not load transport package.

So I've tried it without changing the packages and run into problems during setup. Pre-installation checks are all successful, but when i click install it throws this error:

Fatal error: Call to a member function loadErrorHandler() on a non-object in /var/www/domains/foo.nl/www/core/model/modx/modx.class.php on line 1405

Do you guys have any thoughts on this issue and know how to work past it? I have a backup of the database and files so I can restart the upgrade progress from start. I've reverted back to 2.0.8-pl a couple of times and tried to upgrade to different versions, but all throw some kind of error, so I figure starting with 2.1.0-pl is easiest first step, but please correct me if I'm wrong and should try another version (tried 2.2.0-pl, 2.6.0-pl and 2.6.5-pl). I've also tried to install the UpgradeModx package, but getting the same errors I get when trying to remove packages.

Lots of thanks in advance for your thoughts and insights,
              Roel
                • 3 Posts
                Fixed the issue of not being able to access the packages from the manager. During an update of the servers the hostingparty update the config files but apparently there is also an entry in the database in the table modx_workspaces. Will now try to update using the UpgradeModx package, fingers crossed...
                  • 3 Posts
                  Upgrade successful. Did the incremental update as planned. No big issues during the upgrades. Either the workspace or disabling the packages (or both) did the trick for me. Hope the others in this thread make it to the final version as well.
                    • 39 Posts
                    Thanks for your help guys..
                    It took me all night and all day (since I ran into some trouble - mostly with the manager) but most of it seems to be working now..
                    There are some minor issues (with custom snippets etc) as expected since I'm upgrading from such an old version, but for the most part it's working ok :-D