We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!

Answered Filesystem empty

• 2 Posts
    Hello!

I will preface this by saying that I am very new when it comes to all things server and, honestly, web development in general. If I am not providing enough, or the correct, information, please help me help you wink

So, the issue: in my ModX manager, everything seems to run fine, except the Filesystem viewer in the left-hand side is not showing any files at all. When I use this panel to create a new file, I still do not see the newly created file. Bear in mind that, if I check the file directory using CPanel, I do actually see the created file. They're all there, but for some reason the viewer cannot display them.

I've scoured multiple threads on similar issues, often referencing Apache configurations to change permissions, and I would agree that it is probably a permissions issue. But I also don't know how I look into this, or if it is the solution I am looking for.

This is a clean install, by the way: I've used the Softaculous Apps Installer that comes pre-installed on my server to install ModX. I've tried this with a fresh installation with no modifications made, no extras installed etc.

I'm using a Reseller Package with my webhost, and I've installed ModX on a sub-account thereof which I created using CPanel WHM. Some general information on my server, pulled from CPanel:

cPanel Version 70.0 (build 48)
    Apache Version 2.4.25
    PHP Version 5.4.41
    MySQL Version 5.5.59-cll
    Architecture x86_64
    Operating System linux
    Perl Version 5.10.1
    Kernel Version 2.6.32-896.16.1.lve1.4.49.el6.x86_64

And the ModX version:
    MODX Revolution 2.6.4-pl

Can anyone help me find out what's wrong? I have spent a lot of hours reading things and solutions that either did not work, had little to do with my problem, or which went hopelessly above my head. sad

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      Two more things to try that probably won't work:

1. Manually delete all files in the core/cache directory
      2. Visit the site with your browser in private or incognito mode

Since MODX can create files there, it's not a permission issue.

You can check the media source path settings for the filesystem Media Source, but since the files are being created, they're also probably fine. Go to Media -> Media Sources, right-click on the filesystem and select "Update Media Source". You only care about the first four settings. the basePath and baseUrl are usually blank and the other two are set to "Yes."

That said, I suspect Softaculous. It doesn't always give you a correct install.

If none of that works, I would drop all the tables in the database with PhpMyAdmin (leave the DB itself), delete all the files in cPanel's File Manager, and use the method described here to install MODX (the article is about upgrading, but the process is pretty much the same):

https://bobsguides.com/modx-upgrade-faq.html
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • discuss.answer
        • 2 Posts
        It seems you were right! I did a manual install instead of using Softaculous, and now it's working. I suppose I should have tried that sooner wink Thanks a lot, Bob!
          • 24,544 Posts
          The only time I tried Softaculous, it didn't work for me either. I'm glad you got it sorted. smiley
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting