We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    chomazambia2 Reply #1, 6 years ago
    I guess this is more of an open discussion question, but I am wondering if it possible to have collections who's child resources are not pages themselves with their own URLs?

I need a way to centrally store thousands of pieces of data (courses for a college website) and to selectively add them to resources (with a MigX table). But they cannot have their own URLs.

Right now I am storing all those pieces of data on the individual pages using MigX tables in just plain text on each resource, But a lot of programs have English 101 say, and if I need to edit that course description, I need to do it across hundreds of indiviual resources.

Is there a better way to store that data? Besides just making a new table in the DB?
      • 91 Posts
      Sounds like custom DB table is the best option. Anyway, to avoid showing those pages you can create a plugin that redirects all pages with specific parent to 404.

What is the best way depends on data you have smiley
        • 24,544 Posts
        You could use chunks with names like English101Description and put chunk tags in the content:

[[$English101Description]]

I think that would be easier than a custom table.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting