We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 670 Posts
    Hi there,

I have a site where there is a blog, which is nested within a child of the site - e.g."

home
    - Information
    -- blog
    --- Blog article 1
    --- blog article 2
    -- page 2
    -- page 3

I have created 2 resource groups - 1 called 'all pages' which contains everything.
    The other called 'blog' which contains just the 'blog' resource.

The problem I have is that the user assigned to that user group cannot see the blog in the resource tree because they don't have access to the 'Information' resource.
    But when I give them access to the 'Information' resource, they can then see all the children, which I don't want.
    How can I give them access to just the 'blog' resource and children?

I followed this article to get to where I am now:
    http://bmv-interactive.com/home/modx-acl-tutorial.html

(although slightly out of date, the principal works - but the nested page is the only issue.)

I always find user permissions so confusing!

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Andy
      • 24,544 Posts
      Andy, FYI -- if you put your tree in code tags (<> on the toolbar), you can indent the subdirectories and make it easier to understand.

Reorganizing so that the files to hide and those to show are in different branches of the tree would probably be best.

If it's too late for that, I think you could put the other children of Information in a separate resource group and protect them by connecting that resource group to the Administrator group with a Resource Group Access ACL entry.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 670 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at Apr 19, 2018, 07:25 PM
        Andy, FYI -- if you put your tree in code tags (<> on the toolbar), you can indent the subdirectories and make it easier to understand.

Reorganizing so that the files to hide and those to show are in different branches of the tree would probably be best.

If it's too late for that, I think you could put the other children of Information in a separate resource group and protect them by connecting that resource group to the Administrator group with a Resource Group Access ACL entry.

Sorry my bad with the code tags. Typed it in a hurry.

Yes I Could move it to the top level but it will mean another menu item in my navigation which I was trying to avoid.
        I will look at your second suggestion. I just get so tied in knots when it comes to user permissions.
        I actually ended up hiding all resources from all anonymous users somehow while setting this up!!

Andy
          • 24,544 Posts
          This is my best shot at explaining it all:

MODX Security Permissions Video
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting