We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!

Answered formit question

• 97 Posts
    Hi forum,

I try to use formit only for form validating:
      [[!FormIt?
       &hooks=`spam,redirect`
       &redirectTo=`62`
       &validate=`vorname:required`
        ]]

<form  action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post" id="frmContact">
         <input type="hidden" name="nospam:blank" value="[[+fi.nospam]]" />
      <input type="text" class="form-input form-control" id="vorname" name="vorname" placeholder="[[++vorname]]*" value="[[!+fi.vorname]]">

The page "62" is existing but it does only redirection when I put the validation out. When I put the validation in, then it alway redirects me to the original page and it says that the field is required although I have filled in some text ...

What Im doing wrong??

Additional question. Is it possible via a "Post"-snippet to catch the form-data again on page 62 or does formit a classical "redirect".
    If so how can I get the data for Page "62"

Thanks in advance,
    Stefan

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 388 Posts
      For the validation: http://www.cmstricks.com/blog/2013/03/21/modx-form-submission-with-formit/

To retreave the data from another page: https://forums.modx.com/index.php/topic,65382.0.html
      Quote from: sepiariver at Jun 07, 2011, 11:55 PM
      Often to avoid huge, long scrolling forms, designers like to break them up into several pages. Here's a simple, step by step example of how to implement that in MODX with the FormIt add-on package.

1. I got the "quick and dirty" of how to do this from this forum post (thanks odeclas) http://modxcms.com/forums/index.php/topic,60268.msg342846.html#msg342846

2. I'm assuming you've used FormIt before, but haven't used it for a multipage form. Official FormIt documentation can be found here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/FormIt

3. This solution uses FormIt, which comes with FormItRetriever. You'll need both, because the way this works is that on submitting the first page, FormIt simply "stores" the results - then FormItRetriever "retrieves" them and puts them into placeholders in hidden input fields on the next page. Upon submitting the second page, all of it gets output (to email, in this example).

4. First page FormIt snippet call:
      [[!FormIt? &hooks=`redirect` &store=`1` &redirectTo=`ID` &validate=`this_field:required, that_field:required, other_required_fields:required`]]

Break it down:
      !FormIt? » Calls the snippet.
      &hooks » Notice we don't have email, math, or anything else here. I'm just redirecting to the next page. Someone might suggest I have a spam hook or something here - I don't think it's necessary yet.
      &store » Tells FormIt to store the results.
      &redirectTo » Replace ID with document ID of the next form page.
      &validate » This is standard FormIt validation - add any required fields from your form. This page of the form will not submit until it is validated.

There's nothing special about the form html on this first page, so onwards...

5. Second page FormIt snippet call:
      [[!FormIt? &hooks=`spam,email,redirect` &emailTpl=`emailTplChunk` &emailSubject=`Multipage Form by [[+name]]` &emailTo=`[email protected]` &validate=`name:required:minLength=`2`, email:email:required, 2nd_page_required_fields:required` &redirectTo=`ID2`]]

Break it down:
      !FormIt? » You must call the snippet again from this page, if that wasn't obvious.
      &hooks » Here you can use any FormIt hooks you'd normally use. In this example, FormIt checks for spam, emails the form results and redirects to a Thank You page.
      &emailTpl » Name of your email template chunk. Required - otherwise FormIt sends a list of fields & values.
      &emailSubject » Subject of the email report - notice you can use a placeholder for any of the form's fields.
      &emailTo » Recipient array, comma separated.
      &redirectTo » Replace ID2 with document ID of your Thank You page.
      &validate » More validation options. For usage and a list of built-in validators, check the documentation here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/ADDON/FormIt.Validators

6. Here's the important part!!
      [[!FormItRetriever]]

You must also call FormItRetriever on this page. I've done it immediately following the FormIt snippet call and preceding the actual html form. Not sure if it's necessary to do it in that order, but that seems to work tongue But wait....now that we've retrieved the previous page's form data, where does it go?

7. Add placeholders to output the form data:
        <input type="hidden" name="this_field" value="[[+fi.this_field]]"> 
        <input type="hidden" name="that_field" value="[[+fi.that_field]]">

These hidden fields are where FormItRetriever will output the stored form data from the first page. Notice the prefix "fi." They should be nested inside your <form> element and I have them grouped preceding the second page form fields, but I suppose they could be anywhere in the form.
      In this example, ONLY "this_field" and "that_field" will be output!! All other fields from the first page will be discarded if I don't add placeholders for them! Tricky, hey?

8. Your email template
      Remember to include placeholders from BOTH pages of your form in the email template chunk. No placeholder = nowhere to output data = missing data!

So that's it. Hope this helps. Thanks MODX Team for a great platform, and FormIt developers for an awesome add-on...

Please add your comments to make this tutorial better (or at least suggest ways that I can make it better, or point out mistakes)
        --
        ysanmiguel.com
      • discuss.answer
        • 932 Posts
        You're missing a submit button and a closing form tag - not sure if that was intentional or not? But I've just tried it and it works fine for me.

[[!FormIt?
         &hooks=`spam,redirect`
         &redirectTo=`24`
         &validate=`vorname:required`
        ]]

<form  action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post" id="frmContact">
            <input type="hidden" name="nospam:blank" value="[[+fi.nospam]]" />
             <input type="text" class="form-input form-control" id="vorname" name="vorname" placeholder="[[++vorname]]*" value="[[!+fi.vorname]]">
             <input type="submit">
        </form>

■ email: [email protected] | ■ website: https://alienbuild.uk

The greatest compliment you can give back to us, is to spend a few seconds leaving a rating at our trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alienbuild.uk about the service we provided. We always drop mention of services offered by businesses we've worked with in the past to those of interest.
          • 97 Posts
          Thanks for you help!! I found the mistake .. it was a typo.

@ysanmiguel Thank you now I understand the concept.