We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 16 Posts
    So I've got a plugin that adds a forward slash to a URL among other things. This works perfectly for the most part, if I type a URL of:

domain.com/en/products

The plugin will redirect this to:

domain.com/en/products/

It's hard to show the exact code I use as the plugin does a lot of other localisation things at the same time. But the code basically uses $_SERVER[REQUEST_URI] to detect the URL, then adds the forward slash and redirects if necessary using header( 'Location: https://' . $_SERVER['HTTP_HOST'] . '/' $URLFromAbove ).

This all works perfectly unless the page isn't found. MODX throws the error page normally, but the forward slash never gets added to the URL. As far as I can see the plugin isn't running at all. I've tried also running the plugin with the 'OnPageNotFound' event, but that doesn't seem to make a difference.

I wouldn't be too bothered, but unfortunately because of the localisation, it causes the homepage without a forward slash (domain.com/en) to 404, so it needs fixing.

I'm fairly sure I'm coming up against a MODX thing with the plugins, but the documentation on the system events is fairly limited, hence posting on this forum. I initially thought it could be a case of 'OnInitCulture' not firing during a 404 and the headers already being sent by the time 'OnPageNotFound' was fired, but I can't find anything in the MODX error log to support this.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
      • 24,544 Posts
      You might try a separate plugin just connected to OnPageNotFound that redirects to your desired URL. Make sure it has a higher priority (0) than any other plugins attached to OnPageNotFound.

<?php
      $modx->sendRedirect("http:/yoursite.com/SomeURL/");
      return;

Redirects don't always work in plugins so it might fail, but it's worth a try.

[ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 6 years, 2 months ago.]
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 16 Posts
        Thanks Bob, I'm still a little confused, but that does appear to have fixed it. I just swapped out my redirect method from 'header( 'Location:' to your suggested '$modx->sendRedirect' and that appears to have fixed it.

I'm still confused because I can't seem to get conclusive results in A/B testing of this solution, but it does appear to work when I just leave the $modx->sendRedirect on.

I assume the 'OnInitCulture' event fires at a different time if the page isn't found, possibly after the headers are sent, which is why changing up the redirect message has fixed it.
          • 16 Posts
          I've just done some further testing and it looks like that solution didn't resolve it. Instead of redirecting, it'll stop the page loading altogether and just display a blank page. This only happens when I use a new tab, when it's an existing tab it seems to work okay! I think this is why I was confused above.

I'm even more stumped now - any idea what's going on!?
            • 24,544 Posts
            As I said, redirects are often funky inside of plugins. In my experience, if they don't work, there's no other reliable way to redirect from there.

I wonder if a plugin attached to OnHandleRequest could fix the URL.

Another way to go might be a rewrite rule in .htaccess that adds the slash to URLs that need it.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting