We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 19 Posts
    I've been attempting to create a new Manager Theme for Modx 2.6.1. I've duplicated the default theme, given the folder a new name and switched it on a few times. No problem. However, if I change anything in the index.css file, even one letter in a comment, when I upload and test it, most of the font awesome icons vanish. I've cleared cache, logged out and in, tried different browsers. What's strange is if I undo the css change and re-upload it, it stays broken.

Anybody else experienced this or have any idea what's going on? Is there a secret cache outside of Core I need to clear? This feels like a cache thing but manually deleting the cache didn't change anything. Any help would be really appreciated.

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

Jonathan Pierce
      Webmaster
      Linfield College
      www.linfield.edu
    • discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      My wild guess is that it's the file encoding of the uploaded file. You can test this by doing the copy and editing in cPanel. If that works, it's probably the file encoding.

Your local editor might have settings that let you control the encoding, EOL, and BOM used in specific files (or a general setting for unix-style files).
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 19 Posts
        Oh my stars and garters you were right! I was using Dreamweaver and it was mangling the icon rules that used Unicode PUA.
        You are a gentleman and a scholar.

BTW, anyone fiddling around with manager templates, the css no longer compiles from the build SASS files. Bourbon, Neat, and Font Awesome have all updated since 2014 and dozens of mixins and variables are gone now that the build SASS depended on. I've tried to clean it up but my SASS skills are pretty non-existent.

Thanks again for the help!
          Jonathan Pierce
          Webmaster
          Linfield College
          www.linfield.edu