We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 486 Posts
    Hello,

I am wanting to have a play with Evolution 1.4.0-RC2 and trying to do so by upgrading a Modx Evolution 1.2.1 site.

The 1.2.1 site has a user and I can login to the Manager with that user aok.

After running the install for 1.4.0-RC2 however, I cannot login with that same user. If I do the advanced upgrade option and create a new user during the install, I also cannot login with that info. Forgot password also doesn't work (the email is not recognised.)

When I look in phpMyAdmin, the evo_manager_users table (created during the installation of 1.4.0-RC2 is empty (no users are shown). When I look in the (presumably now unused) modx_manager_users table, the admin user is in there

I tried exporting the user from the modx_manager_users table and then importing it into the evo_manager_users table but it threw an error (My mysql skills are limited).

If new tables are being created, shouldn't the relevant info (such as users) be created / copied over during the install process?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance. [ed. note: nickf08 last edited this post 6 years, 2 months ago.]
      Web design Adelaide
      http://gocreate.com.au
      • 315 Posts
      I've not come across this myself but your table names and prefixes wouldn't change through the upgrade process but I now understand the default table prefix for fresh installations has changed from modx_ to evo_.

If you have a backup of your old 1.2.1 site I'd revert back and then upgrade again. Once upgraded it may be worth clearing your browser history and cookies and trying again.

If you have access to the database via PhpMyAdmin then it's also worth accessing site_plugins and manually disabling all the plugins. Change the value in disabled field to 1.

If that isn't helpful you may wish to visit https://github.com/evolution-cms/evolution for some extra help.
        BBloke
        • 486 Posts
        Thanks BBloke. I appreciate your input and apologise for the long delay in reply (I was on holidays).

I should also say... this is all in a testing site where I made a copy of my main 1.2.1 master site and put it on a different domain so no problem with losing data as its a copy.

Its more than a cookies or cache clearing issue though - there literally are no Manager Users in the Evo tables, even when creating a new user during Advanced Upgrade. They get lost along the way.

I might try with the latest EvoRC and with disabling all plugins and see if any luck - otherwise I will take your suggestion and post on the GitHub page. Many thanks.
          Web design Adelaide
          • 486 Posts
          I managed to get it working second time around.

For some reason 1.4.0-RC2 created new tables during the install process with the prefix evo_ (none of which contained the manager users).
          Once I discovered there were double the tables displaying in the MySQL database (evo_ and modx_), I used the advanced upgrade and specified the table prefix modx_ to match my 1.2.1 table prefix. Then I could login as expected. And then I deleted the superfluous evo_ tables in phpmyadmin.

Now I just have to get everything working in 1.4+ like it was in 1.2.1 smiley. Seriously, I can't believe the lack of backward compatibility like we were used to with Modx Evolution updates. The ajax functions for page loading / saving etc seem a lot slower in 1.4.0-RC2 than they are in 1.2.1. First impressions - slower to work in and a number of broken things to fix that were fine in 1.2.1. Fun times.
            Web design Adelaide
            • 1,198 Posts
            I've updated about 15 sites to evo1.4rc2 and never encountered your issue, but if is not an isolated case, is important to fix
            When you find issue, you should open a discussion on github and give more infos about the site/server configuration (ie: php version).

I dont think 1.4 is slower than 1.2, maybe your server is a bit outdated?

Free MODx Graphic resources and Templates www.tattoocms.it
              -----------------------------------------------------

MODx IT  www.modx.it
              -----------------------------------------------------

bubuna.com - Web & Multimedia Design
              • 486 Posts
              Wow, you are lucky Nicola. I had issues on the first site I tried smiley.

Agreed. I posted here because the devs seem very busy, but I will do that in the future.

I am using php 7.1... The Manager operates like a rocket in 1.2.1 but in 1.4.0-RC2 on the same server the page often hangs for me after doing an action (eg saving a resource) and gets stuck with the logo animation spinning. Its almost like using WordPress. I will have a play with it later and post on github if needed.

Thanks.
                Web design Adelaide