We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 41 Posts
    A lot of questions today. Sorry about that.

I have been trying to find a way to build out sections of templates, then throw it to others to design the pages (because I don't have time for that).

I learned in a template I can call a tv that has a checkbox sortable and those with access to the document resource can decide if they want that section or not or so A poor mans drag and drop. Example

TV=sections_sort

Input Options=Checkbox Sortable
    Values= Header Section Var1==[[$header_section_var1]] || Header Section Var2==[[$header_section_var2]]|| Header Section Var3==[[$header_section_var3]]||
    Portfolio Section Var1==[[$portfolio_section_var1]] || Portfolio Section Var2==[[$portfolio_section_var2]]|| Portfolio Section Var3==[[$portfolio_section_var3]]|| and so on and so forth

Once they choose say, Header Section Var1 and Portfolio Section Var3 can they edit the tv's within that chunk right there?

This question has been answered by Bruno17. See the first response.

• 24,544 Posts
      I think the answer is no, but I'm not sure I understand your question. Maybe this will help. TV values are tied to specific resources (not templates). The TV can have a different value for each resource (if no value has been set for that resource, the TVs default value will be used). So, what will replace the TV tag is the setting of that TV for the page being displayed or its default value.

In order to edit the TV value for a page, the user would have to edit that page, and in the Create/Edit Resource panel and click on the Template Variables tab.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 5,888 Posts

can they edit the tv's within that chunk right there
        I don't understand this question, either

what TVs in which chunk? Maybe there are ways todo what you want with MIGX, but I'm not sure to understand
          -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
          • 41 Posts
          It really is no biggie more curious really as My goal is to chunk and tv out an html template with all its sections and shortcodes so the content people and the client can build a resource page with ease freeing me up quicker to move on to better things. Again just trying to make it easier on the marketers. I have attached a visual as I can suck at explaining http://letsjamhosting.com/playground/tv.png As they sort, enable or disable the sections they want up front. It would be really cool if they could also edit the tv's within that sort, enable or disable the section chunk (very Inceptionish lol). I do use migx a lot and love it Bruno17 a beautiful plugin indeed. I never really thought about migx in that way (as I tend to use it for repeatable blocks, carousels, sliders, list, testimonials and so on.)
          • discuss.answer
            • 5,888 Posts
            this is possible with MIGX and I use it a lot like that.

You should also have a look into ContentBlocks from modmore
              -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
              • 41 Posts
              I looked into Content Blocks (I am cheap), but I am really interest as how MIGX can do this. That would be so cool. If you know of a source or forum to point in the right direction that would be great. If not that is cool off to research I go.
              • It does sound like ContentBlocks is exactly what you're looking for wink

We offer free development licenses if you'd like to try it out on a development site first, without having to buy a license.

I think the generic way of doing something similar in MIGX is to have one field per item that says what type of section it is, and then different tabs to hold the specific content. Then in your getImageList template, you use a conditional on the type of section to output what it needs to output.

There's also a free extra called Structures. If free is your clients' primary concern, perhaps that can be made to do what you need it to do.
                  Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.