We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,118 Posts
    Hi guys - got a Revo (2.3.5) site which gets a fair bit of traffic and noticed it has a huge "modx_session" table... is there a way to make sure this table doesn't get so bloated as I fear it slows down the site as a result.

Similarly - I also have a heavy traffic site on Evo (1.1) which has a massive "modx_event_log" table - we are talking 8GB!

Any thoughts / tips on a solution?

• 953 Posts
      The Evo site should be updated to the latest version - 1.1 has long been outdated

Ref Logs: There are probably outdated snippets in the site, so you may have to change the reporting settings in the config

In Evo 1.2.1:
      TOOLS => Configuration => Security Tab

Detection level of PHP errors:
      Ignore all
      Ignore warnings of a slight notice level (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT)
      Detect all errors except E_NOTICE
      Detect all

I have all my sites set to: Ignore warnings of a slight notice level (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT)
        • 1,118 Posts
        Quote from: iusemodx at Oct 24, 2017, 09:49 AM
        The Evo site should be updated to the latest version - 1.1 has long been outdated

Ref Logs: There are probably outdated snippets in the site, so you may have to change the reporting settings in the config

In Evo 1.2.1:
        TOOLS => Configuration => Security Tab

Detection level of PHP errors:
        Ignore all
        Ignore warnings of a slight notice level (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT)
        Detect all errors except E_NOTICE
        Detect all

I have all my sites set to: Ignore warnings of a slight notice level (E_ALL & ~E_NOTICE & ~E_DEPRECATED & ~E_STRICT)

OK thanks - will have a look - If I suppress these warnings will the table size reduce - or do i need to empty the table?
          • 953 Posts
          You will have to delete / clear the logs first of all - that at least initialy clears the 8GB

Change / check the settings and modify as required

Then check the site in a week or two
            • 1,118 Posts
            Quote from: iusemodx at Oct 24, 2017, 10:54 AM
            You will have to delete / clear the logs first of all - that at least initialy clears the 8GB

Change / check the settings and modify as required

Then check the site in a week or two

OK - So no issues in clearing the table then - its all just historic reporting data yeh?
              • 953 Posts
              You can clean the following every day if you want to:

Reports => System Events => Clear Log

Reports => Manager Actions => Press Search - the results are shown and by clicking "empty the log file" you can clear all actions
                • 1,118 Posts
                Quote from: iusemodx at Oct 24, 2017, 01:17 PM
                You can clean the following every day if you want to:

Reports => System Events => Clear Log

Reports => Manager Actions => Press Search - the results are shown and by clicking "empty the log file" you can clear all actions

I assume there is no issue in my emptying the contents of the "modx_event_log" table via phpmyadmin - its too big to empty via the manager and empty log... it just hangs the site... Can you confirm?
                  • 953 Posts
                  Question answered in the other post smiley
                    • 3 Posts
                    I'm having the same issue. I'm still not sure whether I can empty modx_event_log via phpMyAdmin without causing trouble. Emptying via de manager is no option. De table is over 60 GB large.