We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,078 Posts
    After install, message on the dashboard states: MODX detected that your core folder is (partially) accessible to the public.
    There is already a .htaccess file in the core (.htaccess, not ht.access)

Navigating to the changelog brings up the Home/index page, which is the default error page.
      • 833 Posts
      Have a look at this post => https://forums.modx.com/thread/98138/core-folder-is-accessible-by-web. I believe it's the same issue.
        A MODx Fanatic
      • The check that leads to that message on the dashboard requests the changelog file with curl, so it must be getting a 200 OK response? Try setting up a dedicated error page instead of relying on the home page.
          Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
          • 1,078 Posts
          Thanks Mark & Treigh:
          Creating a 404 page—and modifying the system setting value to be this newly created resource worked. Warning about the core being partially accessible is no longer appearing.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Another option is to move the core folder above the web root. That way, no core files will ever be accessible via the web.

To do that, you need to modify the three config.core.php files (in the root, manager, connectors folders), and update core/config/config.inc.php.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 1,078 Posts
              Yes — something I need to start doing with all of my sites. Thanks Bob.
                • 670 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Sep 20, 2017, 09:33 PM
                Another option is to move the core folder above the web root. That way, no core files will ever be accessible via the web.

To do that, you need to modify the three config.core.php files (in the root, manager, connectors folders), and update core/config/config.inc.php.

If One moved the core folder, would your upgrade Modx extra still work?

• 24,544 Posts

Yes, UpgradeMODX finds the locations from those config files. Renaming the manager directory is a good idea while you're at it.

Do a fair amount of testing to make sure the site is fully operational before using UGM on it, though. Make sure links work in the front end and you can edit and save things like users, resources, and elements in the Manager.

It's a good idea to rename the original directories after making the changes so you're sure they're not being used. Once you're sure everything is working, you can delete them.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 670 Posts
                    Quote from: BobRay at Feb 01, 2018, 04:27 AM

Yes, UpgradeMODX finds the locations from those config files. Renaming the manager directory is a good idea while you're at it.

Do a fair amount of testing to make sure the site is fully operational before using UGM on it, though. Make sure links work in the front end and you can edit and save things like users, resources, and elements in the Manager.

It's a good idea to rename the original directories after making the changes so you're sure they're not being used. Once you're sure everything is working, you can delete them.

Thanks Bob - I will give this a go.
                      • 670 Posts
                      I moved the core folder and updated the various config files - the site is working but if I try to edit a resource I get a 500 server error.

I’ve checked all the files and cannot see the issue. Do I need to rerun the setup?