We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 330 Posts
    Right now I'm assuming yes as using static files means less queries to the database. Am I right in this assumption?

This question has been answered by donshakespeare. See the first response.

• discuss.answer
      • 1,145 Posts
      Same as cached, no?
        TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
        Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
        5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
        • 330 Posts
        Quote from: donshakespeare at Sep 10, 2017, 10:25 PM
        Same as cached, no?

Never thought of it like that....
          • 1,145 Posts
          LOL

A journey to and exploration of the core/cache folder taught me some incredible things.
            Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
            5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
            • 330 Posts
            Quote from: donshakespeare at Sep 10, 2017, 10:41 PM
            LOL

A journey to and exploration of the core/cache folder taught me some incredible things.

Just a side question (that's probably pretty obvious): if I delete a file from the cache directory and refresh the site will it automatically detect that that file is missing and create a new one?

Reason I ask is I want start developing sites locally using task runners. I'm thinking about creating a Gulp task that deletes all files within the cache on each file save, then refreshes the browser so that I can see my changes straight away.

Would you know of any problems with this?
              • 1,145 Posts
              At this time, I believe MODX feeds off the cache and DB.

It makes the cache food from code and DB, then feeds on it.

Delete a file in the cache (even the cache folder itself), and MODX will remake it in order to feed.

If I delete a file from the cache directory and refresh the site will it automatically detect that that file is missing and create a new one?
              So, once a user makes a request to MODX, all and only the items needed to supply that request will be tossed in the cache.
              If the items have been set to not "cacheable" then that's another story.

then refreshes the browser so that I can see my changes straight away
              I used to use one Add-on that did just that, but recollection fails me now.

The benefit was, I not only saw ALL the changes at once, it crawled my whole site, so that I was the first and only person (not some poor fellow using AOL CD dial-up) to suffer/enjoy the painstaking drudge of MODX rebuilding its nest/cache.
                • 1,145 Posts
                then refreshes the browser so that I can see my changes straight away.
                If this is your dev site, then cool.
                Else, if live, note from the above, that as you may see that particular page, nice and refreshed on the browser, the other parts/pages of your site would not yet be rebuilt.
                  • 330 Posts
                  Quote from: donshakespeare at Sep 10, 2017, 11:20 PM
                  then refreshes the browser so that I can see my changes straight away.
                  If this is your dev site, then cool.
                  Else, if live, note from the above, that as you may see that particular page, nice and refreshed on the browser, the other parts/pages of your site would not yet be rebuilt.

Yeah this is just on dev. Just looking for a way to automate my dev processes more. Might share here if successful.