We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 18 Posts
    Hi there,

I hope you would be able to help me figuring out what going wrong here.
    On a MODX Revolution 2.5.7-pl, i'm trying to add a new user with "custom" rules policies but no matter what i'm trying to select, all the rules are ignored and the user is still considered as an full administrator.

I did the exact same thing on the developement version of this site, hosted on a private server and everything went well...
    So i'm wondering what kind of server configuration can cause so much trouble?

Any ideas?

Thank you all.... it's driving me crazy
    • Any chance the user is created as a sudo user? Go to Manage > Users, edit the user, and see if the checkbox by Sudo is ticked. Sudo users have all permissions, no matter their group assignments, and are meant as super administrators.

Alternatively, try logging out and back in again (or wiping all sessions through Manage > Flush your permissions or Logout all users) to make sure you're not seeing cached permissions.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 18 Posts
        Quote from: markh at Sep 04, 2017, 02:43 PM
        Any chance the user is created as a sudo user?

Nope

Quote from: markh at Sep 04, 2017, 02:43 PM
        try logging out and back in again (or wiping all sessions through Manage > Flush your permissions or Logout all users) to make sure you're not seeing cached permissions.
        Unfortunatly, i already tried.... Log out, log in, log out, flush permissions, change browser, manually empty the core/cache folder.... nothing worked...

The only thing that seems not to be ignored is the Dashboard i changed for this user...
          • 247 Posts
          Dumb question, and I'm sure the answer is yes, but did you check to make sure your custom policy made the transfer? If you altered an existing policy instead of creating/duplicating a new one and performed a reinstall of any kind it would revert back to the default settings for that policy.
            • 18 Posts
            Quote from: claytonk at Sep 04, 2017, 03:16 PM
            Dumb question, and I'm sure the answer is yes, but did you check to make sure your custom policy made the transfer? If you altered an existing policy instead of creating/duplicating a new one and performed a reinstall of any kind it would revert back to the default settings for that policy.
            I duplicated an existing policy. (even several actually in order to test...)
              • 24,544 Posts
              Make sure the user is only a member of one group, and that it's not the Administrator group.

Make sure you created a Context Access ACL entry with a context of 'mgr' for this user's user group.

Be sure to flush sessions (not just permissions) before testing, and test from a browser where you're not logged in to the Manager.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                • 18 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Sep 04, 2017, 09:18 PM
                Make sure the user is only a member of one group, and that it's not the Administrator group.
                Make sure you created a Context Access ACL entry with a context of 'mgr' for this user's user group.
                Be sure to flush sessions (not just permissions) before testing, and test from a browser where you're not logged in to the Manager.

Still not working... sad
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Is the problem with access to menus and actions in the Manager, or access to Resources, or something else?

Be sure you're testing from another browser where you're not logged into the Manager.

Clearing the browser cache and cookies is another thing to try.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
                    • 571 Posts
                    It couldn't be related to the issue with an .htaccess file containing php_value session.auto_start 1 mentioned here could it? https://forums.modx.com/thread/102715/resource-groups-protected-pages-seems-broken#dis-post-553262
                      If I help you out on these forums I would be very grateful if you would consider rating me on Trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/andytough.com

email: [email protected] | website: https://andytough.com