We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 14 Posts
    Hello

I'm reading the tutorial of Bob Ray about creating custom database tables, and I added four custom tables to the Modx database. The tutorial includes running the CreateXpdoClasses snippet provided in the same blog, and modifying the xml schema file (in this case is store.mysql.schema.xml) created by the snippet to establish relationships.

I have an usual eCommerce group of tables:

• client
    • order
    • orderproduct (intermediate table)
    • product

When the user buys an item, there is no problem when inserting rows in the order table. But, nothing gets inserted in the orderproduct table (intermediate table - many to many) and there are no errors displayed.

The line $oSave = $order->save(); works fine but the line $opSave = $orderProduct->save(); returns false and that is all I get.

I can insert insert rows fine manually, so the problem must be in the code I made.

Both database operations are included on a snippet I made (following the tutorial, with other code added to fit my website). I already checked for errors in the code and that the session and post variables are retrieved correctly. I can't find what I did wrong.

<?php
    if(filter_has_var(INPUT_POST, 'pay') && filter_input(INPUT_POST, 'pay') === 'Complete Payment' && isset($_SESSION['shoppingCart']))
    {
        $path = MODX_CORE_PATH.'components/store/';
        $result = $modx->addPackage('store',$path.'model/','wp_');
        if (!$result)
        {
            return 'Failed to add package';
        }

$totalAmount = 0;
        foreach($_SESSION['shoppingCart'] as $cart => $product)
        {
            $totalAmount += $product['price'] * $product['quantity'];
        }
        $orderFields = array('idClient' => $_SESSION['loggedIn']['id'], 'totalAmount' => $totalAmount, 'paymentType' => 'debit card', 'date' => 'CURDATE();');
        $order = $modx->newObject('Order', $orderFields);
        $oSave = $order->save();
        $idOrder = $modx->lastInsertId();
        $orderProductList = array();
        foreach($_SESSION['shoppingCart'] as $cart => $product)
        {
            $orderProductList[] = array('idProduct' => $product['idProduct'], 'idOrder' => $idOrder, 'quantity' => $product['quantity']);
        }

$opSave = true;
        foreach($orderProductList as $oP)
        {
            $orderProduct = $modx->newObject('OrderProduct', $oP);
            $opSave = $orderProduct->save();
            if(!$opSave)
            {
                break;
            }
        }

if ($oSave && $opSave) 
        {
            unset($_SESSION['shoppingCart']);
            $cart = '';
            $message = 'Payment completed'.$listas;
            return $modx->getChunk('shoppingCartTpl', array('cart' => $cart, 'message' => $message));
        } 
        else 
        {
            unset($_SESSION['shoppingCart']);
            return 'The transaction failed';
        }
    }

Here is the code for the xml schema file with the relationships I had to add manually. I think that I don't quite get how to do this part and the code may be wrong somewhere.

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <model package="store" baseClass="xPDOObject" platform="mysql" defaultEngine="MyISAM" version="1.1">
    	<object class="Client" table="client" extends="xPDOSimpleObject">
            <field key="name" dbtype="varchar" precision="30" phptype="string" null="false" />
            <field key="password" dbtype="char" precision="8" phptype="string" null="false" />
            <!-- PPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP -->
            <composite alias="Orders" class="Order" local="id" foreign="clientKey" cardinality="many" owner="local" />
        </object>
        <object class="Order" table="order" extends="xPDOSimpleObject">
            <field key="idClient" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" index="index" />
            <field key="totalAmount" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" />
            <field key="paymentType" dbtype="varchar" precision="10" phptype="string" null="false" />
            <field key="date" dbtype="datetime" phptype="datetime" null="false" />

<index alias="fk_order" name="fk_order" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE" >
                <column key="idClient" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <!-- FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF -->
            <field key="clientKey" dbtype="int" precision="100" phptype="integer" null="false" default="" />
            <aggregate alias="ClientAlias" class="Client" local="clientKey" foreign="id" cardinality="one" owner="foreign" />
            <composite alias="Ordersproducts" class="Orderproduct" local="id" foreign="orderKey" cardinality="many" owner="local" />
        </object>
        <object class="Orderproduct" table="orderproduct" extends="xPDOObject">
            <field key="idProduct" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" index="pk" />
            <field key="idOrder" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" index="pk" />
            <field key="quantity" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" />

<index alias="PRIMARY" name="PRIMARY" primary="true" unique="true" type="BTREE" >
                <column key="idProduct" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
                <column key="idOrder" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>

<index alias="fk_1_orderProduct" name="fk_1_orderProduct" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE" >
                <column key="idProduct" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <index alias="fk_2_orderProduct" name="fk_2_orderProduct" primary="false" unique="false" type="BTREE" >
                <column key="idOrder" length="" collation="A" null="false" />
            </index>
            <field key="orderKey" dbtype="int" precision="100" phptype="integer" null="false" default="" />
            <aggregate alias="OrderAlias" class="Order" local="orderKey" foreign="id" cardinality="one" owner="foreign" />
            <field key="productKey" dbtype="int" precision="100" phptype="integer" null="false" default="" />
            <aggregate alias="ProductAlias" class="Product" local="productKey" foreign="id" cardinality="one" owner="foreign" />
        </object>
        <object class="Product" table="product" extends="xPDOSimpleObject">
            <field key="name" dbtype="varchar" precision="30" phptype="string" null="false" />
            <field key="description" dbtype="varchar" precision="100" phptype="string" null="true" />
            <field key="price" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" />
            <field key="stock" dbtype="int" precision="11" phptype="integer" null="false" />
            <composite alias="Ordersproducts" class="OrderProduct" local="id" foreign="productKey" cardinality="many" owner="local" />
        </object>
    </model>

Localhost details:
    Modx Revolution 2.5.7 with ACE and FormIt

Please, help me find how to insert the rows in the orderproduct table.

Thanks in advance!!

This question has been answered by BobRay. See the first response.

[ed. note: keytarist last edited this post 6 years, 9 months ago.]
    • discuss.answer
      • 24,544 Posts
      There are a number of cases where setting all the fields in the second argument of the newObject() call doesn't work. It's also wise, at least during development, to test the return value from newObject().

Try setting the fields individually:

$orderProduct = $modx->newObject('OrderProduct');

if ($orderProduct) {
          $orderProduct->set('idOrder', $idOrder);
          // etc.
          $opSave = $orderProduct->save();
      } else {
          $modx->log(modX::LOG_LEVEL_ERROR, 'Failed to create OrderProduct');
      }

Another way to go would be to use $order->addMany(), to add the related object(s) to the $order object before saving it. That way the intersect object will be saved automatically when you save the $order, though TBH, the method you're using is often easier to implement and just as fast.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 14 Posts
        Thanks a lot, Bob!!
        After setting the fields individually, I got the rows inserted properly in the orderProduct table.

The error related to passing an array as the second argument to the newObject function, could be solved for the next Modx release.

Thanks for your time and generosity helping developers with your blog tutorials.
          • 24,544 Posts
          I'm glad I could help. smiley
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting