We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 52 Posts
    I am trying to export my MODX 2.2.11 from MySQL 5.5.17 (MSA) Database and import it into the same version of MODX (2.2.11) installed on another server but the MySQL is now 5.5.56. (MSB)

When I do the MySQL Dump (using Navicat) on MSA and then import on the MSB, everything on the website works fine. All the pages load, but there are funny questions marks (?) inside a diamond character. I then go in to the Manager and try to edit the pages, but the content area acts if there is no content.

I then go to the database and edit the same field that holds the content and the data is there. I copy and paste the data into a text editor and remove the blank spaces in between DIV tags and smart quotes. Paste back into the DB field and apply changes. Now in the Manager, that page and the content box is now editable.

The problem that I am having is that I can't find an replace all the special characters and smart quotes.

Does anyone have a recommendation on how to fix this.

Thanks In Advance,

Jason
      Jason Buck
      • 24,544 Posts
      It's probably not an issue with the MySQL version. It's more likely a problem with the character set used. I'm going to guess that one of the DBs is set to utf-8 and the other to Latin1 (the MySQL default).

Utf-8 is recommended, so if the old DB is utf-8, just re-create the new DB as utf-8, then move the data.

If it's the other way around, you can create the new one as Latin1, or see the script and procedure here to do the conversion: https://bobsguides.com/convert-db-utf8.html

Be sure the character set in your MODX core/config/config.inc.php file matches the DB.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting