We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • Hi all,

I'm on MODX Revolution 2.5.7-pl
    Since the upgrade my website is going down randomly...

Log errors show same messages every time so hopefully this is something that can be easily identified.

First of it'll have 97 messages like the ones below:

[2017-07-12 18:49:12] (DEBUG @ /home/web/public_html/core/model/modx/modlexicon.class.php : 383) Language string not found: "prop_login.remembermekey_desc"
    [2017-07-12 18:49:12] (DEBUG @ /home/web/public_html/core/model/modx/modlexicon.class.php : 383) Language string not found: "prop_login.remembermekey_desc"
    [2017-07-12 18:49:12] (DEBUG @ /home/web/public_html/core/model/modx/modlexicon.class.php : 383) Language string not found: "Cache Resources for anonymous requests."

Each message has different string not being found.

Next one logged looks like this:

[2017-07-13 02:21:40] (ERROR @ /home/web/public_html/core/xpdo/xpdo.class.php : 762) modExtensionPackage::loadCache() is not a valid static method.

And this one is logged when site is down. Clearing cache brings the site back up.

xpdo.class.php has static method called loadCache() so I have no clue what's going on.

So far I tried:

* reinstalling MODx
    * upgrading all plugins
    * disabling cache globally

No luck.

Any ideas where to look?

----
      regards
      demagu
      • 24,544 Posts
      This is kind of a wild guess, but what's in the extension_packages System Setting?

It may be that a (possibly incompletely uninstalled) extra that's still listed in extension_packages is involved. MODX could be calling the extra package's loadCache() method after the extension package instantiation fails. It's not xPDO::loadCache() that's being called, it's modExtensionPackage::loadCache(). modExtensionpackage.class.php also has a static method called loadCache(), but maybe it's being called for a package that's no longer there.

My other wild guess is that it's TinyMCE, which often causes trouble in the latest versions of MODX.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • Hi Bob,

This is kind of a wild guess, but what's in the extension_packages System Setting?

It's:
        [{"rpx.user":{"path":"[[++core_path]]components/rpx/model/"}}]

My other wild guess is that it's TinyMCE, which often causes trouble in the latest versions of MODX.

Removed TinyMCE from the system. Lets see if it helps.
          ----
          regards
          demagu
        • TinyMCE is not at fault. Site went down again after I removed it last night.

Looking at my Manager Log I found that I removed 2 packages around the time when site started going down.

Log says:
          package_uninstall
          transport.modTransportPackage (unknown)

Not sure what that was....

[ed. note: demagu last edited this post 6 years, 9 months ago.]
            ----
            regards
            demagu
          • The lexicon messages are there because you have your log_level set to 4, to log debug information. Setting that back to the default (1 IIRC) should get rid of those.

Not sure why the modExtensionPackage::loadCache error would pop up, unless your modExtensionPackage file is old (not overwritten during upgrade?) or something.
              Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
              • 24,544 Posts
              I'm not familiar with rpx.user (and don't see it at the MODX extras repository). Is it installed and working? MODX will attempt to load it on every page request, since it's in the extension_packages setting.

Maybe you have a page where it won't load properly and when someone hits that page, the site goes down.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • That might be it. I removed rpx.user from extension_packages. Hope it helps.

Clearly at some point rpx.user was installed in the system. It's not now so config stored in extension_packages is definitely wrong.

Quote from: BobRay at Jul 18, 2017, 09:45 PM
                I'm not familiar with rpx.user (and don't see it at the MODX extras repository). Is it installed and working? MODX will attempt to load it on every page request, since it's in the extension_packages setting.

Maybe you have a page where it won't load properly and when someone hits that page, the site goes down.

----
                  regards
                  demagu