We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1,145 Posts
    Lies ~= untruth, aka falsehood, weird assumptions etc etc etc.

is it even possible to lie about an opinion?
    No, absolutely not! Opinions are simply divine: the perfect expression of an individual persona, totally immaculate and free from accountability!
    (here is me being truly and totally sarcastic)

Here is another funny one:
    Finally, if you'd like to debate whether ContentBlocks is "incomprehensible" or not, I'd like to invite you to try it, first. You've not as much as signed up, let alone installed ContentBlocks or any other extras as far as I can tell. Yet here you are, posting unfounded claims about it with zero argumentation or verifiable experience to back it up.

Last time I checked you had a very nice full showcase on Contentblocks, no, have you removed it? And some of your clients have Contentblocks, no? Is it possible that I can have run into them? Is it possible that "I" have a sandbox that has Contentblocks, of which you know nothing about?

Believe me, I have tried ContentBlocks several times, and so wanted to appreciate it the way I "ought" and "supposed to".
    It is beautiful, powerful and unfathomable. (don't let the last adjective tick you)

BTW, opinions need no argumentation, or proof. Opinions have only the merit of being an opinion.
    (this last sentence could be sarcastic, not sure either myself sad)

PS.
    Re-read your message
    https://forums.modx.com/thread/102389/i-need-a-full-featured-editor-not-a-dumbed-down-one#dis-post-551752
    And see what you wrote. In any language, that sounds like what it sounded like. A nice poke in the appendix!

I don't mind pokes (I thrive on them), what I mind is when the poke author denies the clear fact of the pokage.

TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
      Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
      5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
    • Given you just claimed opinions are not free from accountability, and that opinions need no argumentation or proof within the same comment, I'm once again reminded that there's no point debating with you, when you can't even agree with yourself!

Have a great day Don.
        Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
        • 1,145 Posts
        Here is the Latin axiom, and should work well in any language, because it is a philosophical principle (aka intellectual in nature)
        De gustibus non est disputandum
        translated to English for convenience sake
        In matters of taste, there can be no disputes

So, don't debate because I am doubtedly schizoid, but because on this thread, thus far, everything bears the last name "Opinion".

The OP has some facts, and needs some solutions. His best bet is something not dumbed-down (Redactor), and something that is full of configurations (not MODX TinyMCE RTE Extra).
        He wants and needs something transparent enough to achieve his present goals.
        Not something that is incapacitated in nature or rendered incapacitated by MODX Developers.

If the OP is not already established in his project, then for sure ContentBlocks (or yet another Extra) might work for him.
        If he insists that the task at hand was done without qualms in the past, solely by an RTE, then by all stakes, let him have beer!

And if he is patient enough, beer it is I shall give him.

Cheers.
          Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
          5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: stefany at Jun 14, 2017, 03:56 PM
          Quote from: rainbowtiger at Jun 13, 2017, 10:27 PM
          Redactor doesn't offer any of the features I'm looking for. I just emailed back and forth with Modmore, and none of these features are ones they plan to add.

Well then if you can't find one, code it yourself! When I was into WordPress if I couldn't find a plugin, I would program it.

My first major programming effort was writing a text editor in C for the Apple II, complete with spelling and grammar checking (yes, I'm really that old). I wouldn't wish the job of writing an editor, much less an RTE, on my worst enemy, especially now that browser compatibility (or the lack thereof), is a nightmare, not to mention building CSS styling and templates into the editor. wink
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 24,544 Posts
            I almost never act as a moderator here, but let me gently suggest that "dumbed-down" is not a good adjective to use here in describing another forum member's product (and point out that the OP did not use it that way).

Let's stop poking at each other and stick to the topic of trying to find a solution to the OP's specific needs, which are stated very clearly.

I am, BTW, neutral on this topic because I write everything in raw HTML (with a lot of help from PhpStorm). RTEs tend to make my head hurt. wink

@RainbowTiger: I think PhpStorm (actually WebStorm), has a fairly powerful RTE, though I've never bothered to get it working, because the regular editor has some nice built-in HTML tools like automatically adding closing tags, indentation, and HTML error checking. You might find its "live templates" very useful. They're kind of a weird cross between templates and macros. They pull in a template you create (via hot keys) and allow you to jump through the editable parts of it with the Tab key. I assume that Sublime Text is also a good option, although I've spent very little time with it.

Here's an example for WordPress Syntax highlighting that will produce an empty block, or enclose a selected one:
            <pre class="lang:[cursor is left here] theme:github font-size:14 line-height:20 toolbar:2 expand:true mixed:false whitespace-before:1 whitespace-after:1 lang:php decode:true show_mixed:false ">

</pre>

My MODX Extras
              • 1,145 Posts
              Of the two major players in the Market, TinyMCE and CKEditor, go look at the opened issues, almost a thousand a piece.

Stuff to tackle, one million possibilities that can go wrong because of anything, browser update etc.
              No wonder there are few serious public Rich Text Editors.

Unless you are in a very very controlled and personal environment, DO NOT make ya own editor. LOL
                • 322 Posts
                Quote from: markh at Jun 14, 2017, 03:44 PM
                It's of course up to you how you call it, but we prefer calling it user friendly and minimalistic, rather than dumbed-down wink
                Quote from: BobRay at Jun 14, 2017, 09:49 PM
                I almost never act as a moderator here, but let me gently suggest that "dumbed-down" is not a good adjective to use here in describing another forum member's product (and point out that the OP did not use it that way).
                Yes, I actually wasn't referring to Redactor at all. I was referring more to TinyMCE, which in version 4 has removed a bunch of the advanced features that were present in version 3, for no good reason that I can figure out.

Personally, I don't consider "dumbed down" to be terribly perjorative, and I certainly didn't mean it that way in my original post. [ed. note: rainbowtiger last edited this post 6 years, 10 months ago.]
                  • 322 Posts
                  Quote from: donshakespeare at Jun 14, 2017, 07:38 PM

If the OP is not already established in his project, then for sure ContentBlocks (or yet another Extra) might work for him.
                  Content blocks is way too complicated for my purposes. When I said I need "templates", I'm talking about very small snippets of things, like a placeholder for a video with a title on top and caption on the bottom, wrapped in a div that gets floated right so content will wrap around it. I don't need big "blocks" for content. ContentBlocks makes sense for the type of one-page websites you see these days, but that is not the type of design I typically use for my clients.
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    That's why I said: "and point out that the OP did not use it that way."

That said, if someone called one of my extras 'dumbed-down,' I would take umbrage. wink
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 322 Posts
                      Quote from: BobRay at Jun 14, 2017, 09:49 PM
                      @RainbowTiger: I think PhpStorm (actually WebStorm), has a fairly powerful RTE, though I've never bothered to get it working, because the regular editor has some nice built-in HTML tools like automatically adding closing tags, indentation, and HTML error checking. You might find its "live templates" very useful. They're kind of a weird cross between templates and macros. They pull in a template you create (via hot keys) and allow you to jump through the editable parts of it with the Tab key. I assume that Sublime Text is also a good option, although I've spent very little time with it.
                      I used Sublime for quite a while, then switched to Atom and haven't looked back. It's perfect for my purposes. BUT, the RTE I need is not for me, but for my more advanced clients who are capable of doing some good editing on their website but aren't code warriors, so they need to edit everything in WYSIWYG inside MODX.

A few of my clients are even decent with HTML, but the problem is when you're working in the RTE and then want to go into the code to do something you can't do in the RTE, you have to go find where you were just working again, which on a page with a lot of content is kind of a pain. It would be great if someone could figure out a way to switch to code view and keep selected what you had selected in the RTE view (like Dreamweaver used to do in the olden days). [ed. note: rainbowtiger last edited this post 6 years, 10 months ago.]