We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 140 Posts
    Dear community,

I've been developing with modX for quite some years now and since it's growing every second I don't think I'll use another CMF soon. Now there is one thing with modX that's been bothering me ever since the start: the backup functionality.

You see, other platforms like Wordpress or Drupal have automatic file/SQL backup functions as extra or sometimes in the core. Now my routine for backup is to transfer the website to my HDD and make an export of the Database. I'm aware that the Database part could be automated by cron.

This topic is just to start a knowledge topic where we can share smart solutions for the challenge. I'm very excited to hear how you guy's handle this.

Kind,
    Ilja
      • 140 Posts
      So a few solutions I found are:

1. Setup automatic backup with Softaculous
      2. Use a service like codeguard
        • 932 Posts
        There's an extra available called backupmodx which backups the database and files - seperately and combined. You could probably stick that as a CRON job.
          ■ email: [email protected] | ■ website: https://alienbuild.uk

The greatest compliment you can give back to us, is to spend a few seconds leaving a rating at our trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alienbuild.uk about the service we provided. We always drop mention of services offered by businesses we've worked with in the past to those of interest.
          • 140 Posts
          Quote from: lkfranklin at May 24, 2017, 04:03 PM
          There's an extra available called backupmodx which backups the database and files - seperately and combined. You could probably stick that as a CRON job.

That's a great one, tested it and it does work fine. Thing is it is not automatic and it does not save your DB. It's a great extra but if you have 30 sites to maintain it's not effective.
            • 1,572 Posts
            Personally I would use codeguard as it backs up to a remote server and it's 1 click to restore either the site or files, if it's just something to roll back if someone messes up a template or something like that VersionX by Mark H is very useful

Also your host should be doing some sort of backup or should be able to offer it ?
              • 140 Posts
              Quote from: paulp at May 24, 2017, 04:44 PM
              Personally I would use codeguard as it backs up to a remote server and it's 1 click to restore either the site or files, if it's just something to roll back if someone messes up a template or something like that VersionX by Mark H is very useful

Also your host should be doing some sort of backup or should be able to offer it ?

I agree. Did not know codeguard, but for $5 it looks very promising. Also the ability to monitor en backup multiple websites under 1 account.

My host uses Softaculous in CP. I tried it just now so I will look how this is working out the coming weeks.

Thanks for contributing!
                • 1,572 Posts
                If you are using Softaculous for backups ensure they are backing up to a remote server, if there just backing up to the same server there is still the risk of loosing everything if the Hard drive fails
                  • 140 Posts
                  Quote from: paulp at May 24, 2017, 05:41 PM
                  If you are using Softaculous for backups ensure they are backing up to a remote server, if there just backing up to the same server there is still the risk of loosing everything if the Hard drive fails

Great advice thanks! I will try if you can select a remote server. Alternative will be to download it manual at the end of the month. So much for automation haha..