We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 69 Posts
    I'm slowly taking over a Revolution site and have limited experience in modx. How can I make a backup of our site to restore in a new location for development?

I've been working in WordPress for the last number of years and when I backup, I use a plugin that stores the database and all relevant uploads/files related to that installation. Then I restore to a new install of WordPress of that same version number.

Is there any equivalent of this? Or something else?

Thanks in advance.
      • 91 Posts
      Not an expert, but see no other replies after two days, so here's how I do it. Use PHPMyAdmin in the hosting control panel to export the contents of the database. That has all the crucial bits. Then on the new hosting account, install the latest version of MODX, log in to check all is ok, then log out. Go to the CPanel for that hosting account and use PHPMyAdmin to import the database, removing the default content and replacing it with the content from your site. Log in using the login details from the previous site. Then install all the necessary packages.
        • 24,544 Posts
        Here's what I do:

I export the whole MODX DB with PhpMyAdmin (selecting DROP TABLE IF EXISTS -- otherwise the default settings) to an .sql file in my web-backups directory. I rename the file to sitename-backup-date.

Then I use cPanel's File Manager. I delete all files in the core/cache directory. Then I compress everything in the MODX root directory into a .zip file named sitename-backup-date.zip and download it to the same directory I downloaded the .sql file to.

To restore, import the SQL file in PhpMyAdmin. Then upload the backup .zip file to the MODX root and uncompress it to that directory.

Still in cPanel, use File Manager to delete any files in the core/cache directory, then log in.

You should be back in business with no need to install any extras -- they should all be there.

FYI, the SiteCheck extra, though not free, will create the .sql file for you very quickly (and do a lot of other stuff) without having to go through the steps in PhpMyAdmin. You still have to download it, though, if you want a local copy. You may also have to set the path to mysqldump executable if SiteCheck default setting doesn't work.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting