We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 14 Posts
    Thanks again for the guidance, BobRay. Today proved to be a long haul, including a harrowing period in which I completely lost the ability to log into the site's web context. After some fiddling, I thankfully managed to rectify that issue. Also, after I followed your advice about creating a primary Administrative resource group (for myself) and an alternate User group that only includes the select resources that I want the second administrator to be able to access, I finally managed to get the Resource Tree to only display -- for the second administrator -- the specific resources that I want. So -- big accomplishment there.

The remaining problem: The second administrator keeps getting that error message when trying to open resources.

Code: 200 OK
    {"success":false,"message":"Permission denied!","total":0,"data":[],"object":[]}

I have assigned only myself to the Admin group, so I am not quite sure why the second administrative user is getting this error. As the main administrator, I do not get the error when I log into the Site's manager interface.

Appreciate the crash course.
      • 24,544 Posts
      Try creating two Resource Group Access ACL entries connecting the second admin group to the Resource Group containing the resources they should have access to -- one with a context of 'web' and one with a context of 'mgr'.

I think you only need one of these, but I'm not sure which one (maybe both -- it's been a while since I've done this).
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 24,544 Posts
        Hmmm . . . I just stumbled across this: https://github.com/modxcms/revolution/issues/13243.

It suggests that your problem might be solved by checking the view_template permission on the second admin user's Context Access ACL policy.

Remember to flush permissions and log out all users after making the change.
          My MODX Extras
          • 14 Posts
          BobRay. Thanks again very much. I went in and ticked the 'view_template' permission on the second admin user's Context Access ACL policy, and bingo -- the error message disappeared. Unfortunately, for the second time now, so did my entire site (404 errors).

I think I am done.

This is just far too byzantine for my capabilities, patience (and schedule constraints). For nearly a decade now I have been a staunch and vocal advocate of MODX, and I actually continue to think it is a fantastic CMS in so many respects. When it comes to ACL functionality, however, I am finding it to be just too complex and idiopathic; I will never be able to sell this sort of thing to the customer.

I will continue to use MODX as a preferred solution for basic website development. If there is a need to set up and maintain multiple administrative users with varying rights, however, I am afraid I will need to tackle that challenge elsewhere.

Thanks again for your great input and assistance.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Sorry I couldn't be more help.

You might try deleting all files in the core/cache directory and visiting the site with your browser in private or incognito mode.
              My MODX Extras
              • 14 Posts
              Hi BobRay. Yeah -- the frustration levels hit a critical mass last night after I thought I had finally fixed everything, and then, out of nowhere, the site no longer loaded.

It subsequently took about an hour of fiddling, but I did finally manage to restore the site. My mood has improved since then too. I remain a big fan of MODX (as I mentioned last night) and may even undertake the challenges of the ACL 'labyrinth' again at some point. I think I just need a bit of time to recuperate.

Thanks again. Your willingness to help and particular bits of advice have been great.