We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 290 Posts
    I know this topic has been posted on this forum previously -- to my knowledge I've applied a majority of prescribed troubleshooting detailed by previous posts, with no improvement to Formit performance. Here are the details:

I have a very simple checkbox form with a FormIt call that includes the math, email, autoresponder, and redirect hooks. The form processes very slowly -- ~15 seconds -- with the email and responder hooks included.

I tested email server response using BobRay's QuickEmail -- it processes quickly with no issues. I receive the outputted email almost immediately after loading the QuickEmail resource, and the resource itself renders very quickly.

I tested that available SMTP configs (G Suite account). The form processes with (1) no changes to the Modx Mail settings, or with (2) TLS or (3) SSL settings applied. I have a simple contact form on the site that also uses Formit, and it processes very slowly.

This is the checkbox form Formit call (values are prefixed per a Profile snippet also on the form resource, and some parameter values are placeholders to protect the innocent):
    [!FormIt?
     &hooks=`email,FormItAutoResponder,redirect`
     &emailTpl=`formit_emailProposalAgreementTpl`
     &emailSubject=`Signature Notification`
     &emailTo=`/ email address /`
     &emailToName=` / Recipient Name /`
     &emailFrom=`[[+member.email]]`
     &emailFromName=`[[+member.fullname]]`
     &emailReplyToName=`[[+member.username]]`
     &fiarTpl=`formit_fiarProposalAgreementTpl`
     &fiarSubject=`Confidentiality Agreement`
     &fiarToField=`email`
     &fiarFrom=`/ from address /`
     &fiarFromName=`/ from name /`
     &fiarReplyTo=`/ reply address /`
     &fiarReplyToName=`/ reply name /`
     &fiarBCC=`/ bcc address /`
     &submitVar=`submit`
     &redirectTo=`[[!+modx.user.id:isnot=`0`:then=`13`]]`
     &validate=`agreement:required`
    ]]

And form code:
    <form action="[[~[[*id]]]]" method="post" class="form form--agreement">
      <input type="hidden" name="agreement[]" value="" />
      <input type="hidden" name="email" value="[[+member.email]]" />
      <input type="hidden" name="username" value="[[+member.username]]" />
      <input type="hidden" name="fullname" value="[[+member.fullname]]" />
      <div class="form__element-container">
       <label class="label--checkbox"><input class="checkbox" name="agreement[]" value="" type="checkbox" autofocus="" required="required" [[!+fi.agreement:FormItIsChecked=`agree`]]>Yes, I agree</label>
      </div>
     <input ripple type="submit" name="submit" value="Onward!" class="wp-button wp-button--medium agreement--btn"/>
    </form>

Is it the opinion of folks here on the forum that slow responses area exclusively due to communication with / response time of the email service? That's the gist of the feedback I've seen.

If this is the case, why would the QuickEmail test indicate a fast server response, while FormIt has such poor processing time?

Thanks... [ed. note: wpicotte last edited this post 7 years, 1 month ago.]
      • 932 Posts
      One quick way to test if its formit, the server or something else would be to strip it back to the example formit form and see what the speed is like then.
        ■ email: [email protected] | ■ website: https://alienbuild.uk

The greatest compliment you can give back to us, is to spend a few seconds leaving a rating at our trustpilot: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/alienbuild.uk about the service we provided. We always drop mention of services offered by businesses we've worked with in the past to those of interest.
        • 290 Posts
        Quote from: lkfranklin at Feb 14, 2017, 08:36 AM
        One quick way to test if its formit, the server or something else would be to strip it back to the example formit form and see what the speed is like then.

Yes, exactly what I did, and once the email hook is added the form process time increases significantly. Adding the autoresponder hook increases processing time even more.

This is why I asked the question in the first place, since the QuickEmail results don't support the way that most people respond to posts regarding FormIt's speed, i.e. it's an email server issue, not a FormIt issue.