We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 572 Posts
    Hi,

I have one site that i am unable to login to using MODX 2.5.2.
    I have tried everything i can but just get an error saying details are incorrect...but i know they're not.
    Here's what i have tried so far:

1. Changed password in phpmyadmin to 'e10adc3949ba59abbe56e057f20f883e' which i understand is '123456' - this had no effect
    2. I clicked the 'forgotten password' - no effect
    3. I tried BobRays options as stated at http://bobsguides.com/blog.html/2014/01/02/locked-out-getting-back-into-the-modx-manager - but again this had no effect.
    4. When i tried BobRays php file i go t a message to say 'Could not find that user' - but there are users in the modx database!
    5. I did a check on the website and there were no errors apart from this one "modx_session: warning: 2 clients are using or haven't closed the table properly"
    6. I have emptied the cache numerous times

I don't know what to try next as modx doesn't appear to be recognizing any users.
    Anyone any ideas?

Thanks

Janice

This question has been answered by 9thwave. See the first response.

www.9thwave.co.uk
         WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
      • 1,572 Posts
      AFAIK you cant edit the password directly in the database as they are salted.

Upload and install MODX in a new folder on a new database and make sure you can log in to the manager, then export the user with id 1 out of the working database.

After that export the live database ( just incase ) and then drop user 1 from it and inport the user from the newly installed database that you have just exported.

Make sure both are the same versions of MODX
        • 24,544 Posts
        I sometimes do a variation of what Paulp suggests.

Install a new version of MODX somewhere, and make sure you can log into the Manager. Then cut and paste all the fields from the admin's record in the modx_users table into the admin's record at the problem site.

First, though, just try repairing the tables in the DB at the problem site.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • discuss.answer
          • 572 Posts
          Thanks for that. It's now working.
          I installed a new version and tested the manager and it all worked. When i compared the entries it appears the 'createdon' column in the 'modx_users' table was displaying as '0'. As soon as i updated this the Manager login worked again.
          No idea how that information could have disappeared from the database though!

Many thanks for your input.
            www.9thwave.co.uk
               WEB | DESIGN | PRINT
            • 93 Posts
            Quote from: 9thwave at Jan 24, 2017, 10:20 PM
            Thanks for that. It's now working.
            I installed a new version and tested the manager and it all worked. When i compared the entries it appears the 'createdon' column in the 'modx_users' table was displaying as '0'. As soon as i updated this the Manager login worked again.
            No idea how that information could have disappeared from the database though!

Many thanks for your input.

This was my issue as well. In my modx_users table, the createdon column was missing completely. I added the column back, copied over an appropriate value from the new admin user from the new installation, and was able to login after all that.
              • 24,544 Posts
              That usually comes from skipping a major version of MODX (one ending in .0). Modifications to the DB are made in those versions.

You might want to check this article and see if you're missing any of the other fields listed there: https://bobsguides.com/blog.html/2016/06/27/missing-db-fields-(unknown-column)/.

Some of them can bite you later on.
                Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                My MODX Extras
                Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting