We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
  • In looking to 2017 and beyond, we wanted to put our best foot forward at MODX. Over the last year, we considered many things that haven’t been acted upon in a while and picked two key initiatives.

First, we kicked off the most important thing to come to the MODX Community since its inception with the MODX Advisory Board—a trusted body of MODXers from various backgrounds to help map the future of MODX. We also launched a new MODX.com, too.

We can’t wait to share more, but in the meantime, take a peek behind the curtain and read what we've been working on in the (new) MODX blog.
      Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
      Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
      • 52 Posts
      Thanks for the update Ryan. Coming from someone who has been an avid MODx enthusiast, user and advocate for over a decade, this is great to hear. Unfortunately, this may be too little, too late. Though I think most MODx'ers have been in the overall minority of developers for a long while, I might be in the growing majority of MODx'ers that are moving on to greener pastures.

I took part in the now infamous epic discussion here: https://forums.modx.com/thread/90793/community-concerns
      that started over two years ago but hasn't seen any real action for about six months now. This was a great exchange of ideas by the community and it was refreshing to see there was finally some serious talk about the future of MODx. Sadly, it appears that the core developers of MODx are just now getting around to forming the committees (MAB) to oversee any real movement forward. That's just too slow in a world where technology marches forward unrelentingly. That's not a criticism (I know the resources of time, talent and capital are limited), it's just a reality.

Case-in-point, I use to hate Wordpress with a white hot burning passion, but during the time that MODx has inched forward with a patch here and a hotfix there, WP has made real strides in turning that spaghetti coded monstrosity into a viable enterprise-worthy CMS. They've slowly won me over, especially now that Timber has married Twig to WP and they have a real templating system. That, along with the thousands of high quality, time saving plugins really makes it an easy sell to my clients.

Does this mean that I won't be back in the future when MODx 3.0 finally arrives on the scene? No way, I will be right in the front of the line to demo that tech, and I still have plenty of legacy sites to maintain that aren't going anywhere. But it's this humble developer's opinion that until you address the ease with which to extend the MODx manager and write plugins for it, it will never be able to compete in the CMS world. Everyday developers will simply never adopt it wholesale unless plugins become a large part of the economy, regardless of how superior the framework, API and templating system are.

What I'm trying to say is, don't be afraid to take what makes Wordpress (and other widely adopted CMS's) popular and successful, adopt those ideas, and fold them into the already best-in-industry framework that you already have. Here's to wishing MODx a swift journey back to relevancy.

Much respect,
      Dan S.
      • Thanks for the comments Dan. Keep an eye out for the first batch of recommendations and demo code from the MAB. smiley
          Ryan Thrash, MODX Co-Founder
          Follow me on Twitter at @rthrash or catch my occasional unofficial thoughts at thrash.me
          • 26 Posts
          Wordpress is great for certain applications. If you want to put up a site quickly that looks great (~$50 theme) with basic pages that people can easily edit (and manage edits) and have a blog/news section that works with the rest of the site it's perfect.

However, after you have added the caching plugin, the security plugin and the SEO plugin and any others your site needs you are going to have to start managing your site on a nearly daily basis with core, theme and plugin updates. If you are managing a few Wordpress sites this starts to get a bit tedious. Sometimes the advantages outweigh this disadvantage.

If you need a site that you want to make your own theme from Bootstrap or Foundation and that you'll make all changes to yourself (or the client doesn't want to do a lot of editing) then for me MODX is far better.

If you need a site that needs a lot of interactivity you have three options. Wordpress with plugins, MODX with custom code (snippets etc) or a Framework like Yii. For me MODX occupies the middle ground perfectly. I can build a website with my own theme and code with all the boring bits handled by MODX.

An example - I'm building a site that allows students to take mock exams. I could have chosen Wordpress and have it looking fantastic in an hour. I could have found a plugin that allowed tests to be set but... I would have had to use the plugin as is and maybe compromised or changed it but lost the ability to update it when the author releases updates. I could have spent ages making something in a Framework but it would have been way too much work. So I chose MODX.
            • 953 Posts
            @ Ryan Thrash

I have posted this info here as there seems to be no commenting system anymore in the blog

Downloading "Evo" from the new MODX site gives you wrong information - please see attached image
              • 52 Posts
              Quote from: xgarb at Nov 02, 2016, 06:28 PM
              Wordpress is great for certain applications.

Hi, I certainly didn’t intend to start a MODx vs. Wordpress debate in the MODx forums. You are preaching to the choir at this point, I love MODx and everything it can do. My main point is that for MODx to thrive into the future, it needs to win web developer converts and it needs to be an easy sell to clients. I don’t know all the answers on how to achieve this, but electing the MAB is a good first step.

Listen, I’ve argued the same argument you have before, but the truth is, software was meant to be reused, not created from scratch every time, and WP plugins do that. Do you know how time consuming it is to create an Upcoming Events system in MODx as compared to WP? How about a full-featured taxonomy system with multiple levels of associations? There is also the obvious draw of commercializing plugins and further adding to the economy of talent propping up the core of the system. It would be a win-win for MODx to emphasize this going forward.

So yes, there are certainly scenarios where MODx is the obvious choice (custom apps). However, the vast majority of work we as developers do is geared toward marketing-centric websites. When you have to build all those tools and widgets from scratch (and do your own testing and bug fixes), it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense when you can simply reuse someone else’s work. It saves your time and frustration, and keeps the client from moving on to someone who can do it faster and cheaper in WP. That is the reality versus the ideal.

tl;dr

If you could mash the best concepts of MODx and WP into one CMS, you’d have the perfect system.

P.S.
              Quote from: xgarb at Nov 02, 2016, 06:28 PM
              If you need a site that you want to make your own theme from Bootstrap or Foundation and that you'll make all changes to yourself (or the client doesn't want to do a lot of editing) then for me MODX is far better.
              You can make your own Bootstrap theme and reuse it in WP, you don’t have to rely on a 3rd party. And check out Timber and Twig - you’ll love that concept as well.
                • 26 Posts
                Hi,

I agree not the place to start MODx vs Wordpress but I want to make it clear that MODx shouldn't be another Wordpress.

The Upcoming Events example is a good one - been there, done that! I'm my case I wrote one. Worked well. Client later went to another client as they wanted to work face to face. Client created new site in WP with Upcoming Events using a module. Works about the same as mine. Two things.. if I get another client who wants this.. I already have the code. If they want something different I can add to my code. My ex-client's developer will have to learn and then hack the Wordpress code and lose the ability to update from the repository.

Being undercut by people using Wordpress is a problem for me as well. Two occasions where I should have got the work but it's gone to an agency or freelancer using Wordpress. In both cases they've not supported the site afterwards as they don't really understand it. They just get a theme and modules together and sell this cheaply. This is going to have a negative effect on the image of Wordpress as sites get hacked, or stop working and the any new developer blames Wordpress. I have clients telling me they don't want it because of the security issues they hear about.

Some things in Wordpress that would be nice in MODx core: Revisions for Resources (when client breaks something!). Menu builder with GUI. Media manager.

I'm looking at Twig for another project next week. I still really like the way I can use any HTML 'theme' with MODx and add the snippets etc to get the functionality I want.

I don't hate Wordpress.. I use it. Horses for courses and all that. I just think that MODx has its place and it should keep moving forward and not sideways to be something else.
                  • 380 Posts
                  I've been a MODX advocate for some time. I like its elegant simplicity.

Despite rubbishing WordPress for the last few years recently I built a couple of WordPress sites using the X-Theme. To be honest I was pretty shocked at how easy and slick the development process was. X-Theme seems more of a framework than a theme and adding swanky pre-built components from the library is a simple click. As I added each one I kept thinking "how long would this take in MODX" since I’d need to add the JavaScript, chunks, bit of MIGX, CSS etc.

In the back of my mind I think that if the client asked for something a la carte I'd be more confident in MODX. The architecture of WordPress is improving but still a bit tortuous, but then again most clients just want stuff off the standard menu.

I think MODX needs to define the problem it’s trying to solve, the niche it’s trying to fill, before building the roadmap. [ed. note: sparkyhd last edited this post 7 years, 5 months ago.]
                    • 3 Posts
                    Yes, I think the WordPress is one of the best tools. It's my best friend ))
                      • 2,877 Posts
                      It's been 6 months and a lot of great stuff has come out of this. MODX is still superior to any other (free) CMS out there for coders.
                      We now have VersionX, can install extras and even upgrade MODX with click of a button.

With UICMPGenerator I can have a custom table packaged with classes and ready to go in seconds.

Thanks for keeping MODX true to Creative Freedom and not turn to Wordpress garbage.
                        @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
                        http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
                        http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower

This discussion is closed to further replies. Keep calm and carry on.