We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 1 Posts
    Hello!

Is it possible to use external editors like sublime text with modx?

For example I have a lot of snippets/auto completes/short cuts/live reload that I use from sublime text that literally 10x's my work speed.

The last time I used mod x it seemed like I was limited to your internal code editor. As I was coding it felt like pulling teeth because I didn't have my toolkit of snippets/etc

I've been doing research and that still seems to be the case?

Do modx developer normally just develop in the internal code editor?
      • 24,544 Posts
      I develop on a localhost install with PhpStorm. You can make the snippet static and edit the file or you can do this in the snippet in the Manager:

<?php
      return include 'path/to/file';

For a remote site, I usually write the code in PhpStorm and then cut-and-paste it to the remote site, though you can use the technique above and use the FTP engine built into your editor to move the file.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 1,145 Posts
        I use Sublime Text.

I disable all sorts of cache in MODX settings.

I make the HTML Templates static

And for PHP in plugins, I use the above mentioned line, to prevent any sort of kind of caching whatsoever
        return include 'path/to/file';

Nowadays I do all my work on localhost.

But if I do dangerously edit a remote site, my awesome and best (S)FTP client, WinSCP, can map local to remote folders for ya.
        There is Sublime SFTP as well. But nothing beats WinSCP.
          TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
          Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
          5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.