We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 141 Posts
    Description of Problem:
    When I click on a resource I get a page isn't working error (HTTP error 500). I am logged in as Admin and there are clearly no permissions set specifically to the affected resources. Clicking on View, Overview and Quick Update behave as expected. There is no output within any log file. I have also cleared caches (manually via ftp) and reset permissions.

All seems fine on the front end.
    Any advice welcome

• MODX Version: 2.50
    • PHP Version: 5.3.29
    • Database (MySQL, SQL Server, etc) Version: MySQL 10.0.21
    • Additional Server Info: Apache 2.2.31 Unix
    • Installed MODX Add-ons: Ace 1.6.5, FirstChildRedirect 2.3.1, getResources 1.6.1, If 1.1.1, MIGX 2.9.6, UpgradeMODX 1.5.2, TinyMCE Rich Text Editor 1.1.1, VersionX 2.1.3, Wayfinder 2.3.3
    • Error Log Contents: (attach as file if it’s too large) nothing to show
      Glyn Szasz
      Sydney, Australia

Happy to help (when can) and happy to learn

If you are a Sydney based MODX developer would love to hear from you. Please contact me.
    • I have had similar problems with a misbehaving TV. What happens if you use the Quick Update to change the resource's template to the empty template?
        Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
        Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
        Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
        • 24,544 Posts
        You might try disabling the VersionX plugin and deleting the core/cache files. It's possible that it doesn't play nice with 2.5.0.

Looking at the Network tab in dev. tools (crtl-shift-i) might give you a clue in on the response tab. Sometimes PHP errors from a processor will show up there rather than in the MODX error log.
          Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • Quote from: BobRay at May 30, 2016, 07:03 AM
          You might try disabling the VersionX plugin and deleting the core/cache files. It's possible that it doesn't play nice with 2.5.0.

I'm not aware of any VersionX-specific issues with 2.5... if you do know of any, please provide details at https://github.com/Mark-H/VersionX2/issues so they can be resolved.

@Glyn: a 500 internal server error can be anything. Details of what caused the error should be available in the PHP/Server Error Log.
            Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.
            • 24,544 Posts
            Sorry Mark. I wasn't sure VersionX was still being supported and thought disabling it was worth a try.

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
              • 141 Posts
              Many thanks for all the great suggestions. Sadly none of them seem to have helped. The only progress so far is that if I try changing the Template to being empty (using quick update) I can edit the resource.

Sadly I can not get access to the server logs as the hosting is on a shared platform (client would not move to my hosting).

Thinking I may try to do a reinstall of MODX. Should not be too much of a problem as I am using Advanced.

Did the reinstall and still got the same problem. No improvement

Decided to duplicate the Template and then proceeded to turn off the various TV's that were being used by the template. Worked out there was a single one that was not behaving by a process of elimination. Removed that TV and all seems ok.

Not sure exactly why the TV seemed to not work. It is a simple (well it seems the way) text TV with some default comma separated copy in it. [ed. note: glynszasz last edited this post 7 years, 10 months ago.]
                Glyn Szasz
                Sydney, Australia

Happy to help (when can) and happy to learn

If you are a Sydney based MODX developer would love to hear from you. Please contact me.
                • 104 Posts
                Quote from: glynszasz at May 29, 2016, 06:14 AM
                Description of Problem:
                When I click on a resource I get a page isn't working error (HTTP error 500). I am logged in as Admin and there are clearly no permissions set specifically to the affected resources. Clicking on View, Overview and Quick Update behave as expected. There is no output within any log file. I have also cleared caches (manually via ftp) and reset permissions.

All seems fine on the front end.
                Any advice welcome

• MODX Version: 2.50
                • PHP Version: 5.3.29
                • Database (MySQL, SQL Server, etc) Version: MySQL 10.0.21
                • Additional Server Info: Apache 2.2.31 Unix
                • Installed MODX Add-ons: Ace 1.6.5, FirstChildRedirect 2.3.1, getResources 1.6.1, If 1.1.1, MIGX 2.9.6, UpgradeMODX 1.5.2, TinyMCE Rich Text Editor 1.1.1, VersionX 2.1.3, Wayfinder 2.3.3
                • Error Log Contents: (attach as file if it’s too large) nothing to show

Might be worth a try and if someone else find this ; MODX Revolution 2.5.5-pl, 3rd time I have this problem and each time, deleting tinyMce en reinstalling it fixed the issue for me.
                • There's an issue with TinyMCE and MODX versions 2.5.1 and up. That was resolved in the release of TinyMCE that went out a few months ago, so updating that is usually all you have to do.
                    Mark Hamstra • Developer spending his days working on Premium Extras and a MODX Site Dashboard with the ability to remotely upgrade MODX and extras to make the MODX world a little better.

Tweet me @mark_hamstra, check my infrequent blog at markhamstra.com, my slightly more frequent ramblings at MODX.today or see code at Github.