We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 91 Posts
    Here's a new one to me.

I have a very simple email-me form on a real-estate website. Some users complain that "it doesn't work". I have established that these users all use some form of autocomplete software - possibly a browser add-on. The fields are completed, the button that fires the form is manually clicked, but no email is sent.

I'm still trying to see whether this is one or several or all autocomplete programs that don't work, but in the meantime I wondered if any other MODXer has encountered this phenomenon.

Nic Boyde
    Revo 2.5
      MODX Revolution 2.6.5-pl (traditional)

Hosted on MODX Cloud

• 24,544 Posts
      If you have a hidden spam field, the auto-complete software may be filling it in.
        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
        • 91 Posts
        Quote from: BobRay at May 06, 2016, 05:11 AM
        If you have a hidden spam field, the auto-complete software may be filling it in.

Indeed, that was it. I have a honeypot field placed off-screen by CSS. It works so well I'd forgotten it was there.

I don't want to abandon the wonderful honeypot, so the solution is to add "autocomplete=off" at the form level. Nice browsers regard this, and ignore it for password fields, but follow instructions for the rest. Finks and spammers ignore it and fall into the trap. Working so far and still spam free.
          MODX Revolution 2.6.5-pl (traditional)

Hosted on MODX Cloud