We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 60 Posts
    I just updated my system to Kubuntu 16.04 doing a clean install ( php7 ). Now when I try to create a new MODX installation, everything looks OK, but the 'system_settings' table is missing.

The problem occurred with MODX 2.4.2, 2.4.3 and 2.5.0 setup. I am assuming it is something in my PHP or MySql setup but I haven't been able to find a solution.

Any help would be appreciated.
      Michael Regan
      TIMR Web Services
      Phone: 250.218.5284
      Eamil: [email protected]
      • 24,544 Posts
      Did you upgrade with the UpgradeMODX widget? If not, try manually deleting all files in the core/cache directory.

Either way -- try clearing your browser cache and cookies.

Also, take a look at the modx_system_settings table in PhpMyAdmin and make sure the compress_js and compress_css settings are off (0).

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
        My MODX Extras
        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • Heh Bob... He probably can't change compress css and js in the system_settings table if it's missing.

I've seen this before though. I think it was a Softaculous install though. Yet another reason I don't trust installers like Softaculous.
          Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
          "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
          Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
          • 24,544 Posts
          Quote from: frogabog at Apr 27, 2016, 08:29 PM
          Heh Bob... He probably can't change compress css and js in the system_settings table if it's missing.

I took him to mean that the table in the Manager is missing or blank. It's very unlikely that the settings are missing from the DB, imo. In all the cases I've seen of multiple missing objects in the Manager, they've never been missing from the DB.

MODX is finicky about showing stuff in the trees and grids that isn't quite right - e.g., elements with an invalid parent or category, resources with an invalid parent fields, etc., so my first thought was that the settings have an invalid 'area' field.
            My MODX Extras
            • 60 Posts
            Thanks for the suggestions.

I am trying to do create a new MODX installation. When I run Setup everything proceeds relatively smoothly until I get to '/setup/index.php?action=complete' which gives me a 503 server error. ( At times I get an error message that Setup can't create the new database - but that is intermittent. )

I checked /core/cache/logs and saw error messages that the 'system_settings' table was missing - which I confirmed in phpMyAdmin.

I suspect there is a module missing from the Kubuntu copy of PHP7. I have been checking the modules - so far I found curl, zip and ODBC were missing. I installed them but it still fails
              Michael Regan
              TIMR Web Services
              • 24,544 Posts
              I stand corrected (apologies to Frogabog). smiley

Did you transfer the MODX files individually with FTP? That often results in missing or corrupted files.
                My MODX Extras
                • 60 Posts
                These are new instances of Modx on my development system. I unzipped the Modx download and copied the files into the new directory.
                  Michael Regan
                  TIMR Web Services
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  Hmmm . . . I can't think of any way that Setup could and would write all the other tables but not that one. The only thing that comes to mind is a weird mod_security issue, but that seems very unlikely.
                    My MODX Extras
                    • 60 Posts
                    I have been looking at this again. I suspect it has to do with a bug on mySQL 5.7.12 ( https://bugs.mysql.com/bug.php?id=80086 ) which occurs when the code tries to force the database to update the timestamp by sending it a NULL value.

I am not sure where that occurs in the Setup code - any pointers to that block of code would be helpful.
                      Michael Regan
                      TIMR Web Services
                      • 60 Posts
                      It took a while but the problem was with the mySQl config.

the 'sqlmode'had 'NO_ZERO_DATE' - once I removed that everything as OK
                        Michael Regan
                        TIMR Web Services