We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 93 Posts
    Jeff Miranda Reply #1, 8 years ago
    MODX 2.4

Has anyone experienced the issue in the attached screen grab?

My client can log in fine on her old computer, but on her new computer, she logs in and at the top of the Manager screen it says "undefined" and the left navigation tree is missing. I've cleared the cache files on the server and on her own computer (cookies and all) with the same result.

I'm also receiving a lot of the following in the error log:
    [2016-04-26 12:27:05] (INFO @ /index.php) There was an error retrieving or creating session id: ef88c7992a9887bec55ef9780722d91f

Thoughts?

This question has been answered by ryanfreelance. See the first response.

• 93 Posts
      Jeff Miranda Reply #2, 8 years ago
      Sorry attachment never came through. Here it is:

• Try reinstalling MODX. Reinstalling can't hurt, often helps. Make sure to get a new MODX.zip file from http://modx.com (same version as you're running now), upload the .zip file to the server, extract the file into a folder on the server (IMPORTANT! Don't extract it locally and use FTP to upload the files, this can corrupt files). Clear the core/cache folder. Copy/merge the extracted files to the site root and then re-run setup.

Might also want to tick the "compress CSS and compress JS" setting to "off" when you re-run setup, just in case.

If this works, you may want to go ahead and do the same process to update MODX to 2.5. Note again, don't extract the MODX files locally and FTP to the server. Always use the server's extraction functionality instead.

See the upgrading information here: https://rtfm.modx.com/revolution/2.x/administering-your-site/upgrading-modx
          Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
          "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
          Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
          • 24,544 Posts
          Did you, by chance, use Softaculous for the install? I've just seen this exact problem when testing a Softaculous install of 2.5.0.

compress_css and compress_js are off (by default in 2.5.0 -- finally!). I don't know what the issue is, although my site is in a subdirectory. I had to hard-code all the URLs in config.inc.php just to get the Manager to find its JS and CSS files. (I'm *not* recommending that -- mine is just a test site).
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • discuss.answer
            • 2 Posts
            So I know this is rezzing an old thread, but I thought this might help someone. I spent a couple hours trying to figure this out today, and felt really silly when I realized what it was. You MUST use the domain exactly as it was entered when the site was created. If you created the site with www.somedomain.com you have to use www.somedomain.com NOT somedomain.com without the www. Omitting the www causes the error shown above.
              • 93 Posts
              Thanks @Frogabog and @BobRay for responding! I'm sorry for the delay in response :S

@ryanfreelance you are absolutely correct! That was the issue. Some users were using the www and some weren't. It was a comedy of errors trying to figure out what the hell was going on. Normally it wouldn't matter but in the /manager folder there was an empty .htaccess file that was overriding the root .htaccess file that had the mod_rewrites in it. As soon as I removed the empty .htaccess file in /manager everything worked fine.

Thank you thank you thank you to everyone who replied!!!
                • 1 Posts
                Hello guys,

I've the same problem and the proposed solutions doesn't seems to work for me !
                1- I've installed a cloud demo on modx and after changing template, i have the same problem !
                2- I've installed on my dedicated server, and i've the same error ! I have disabled compressions, and i'm still not able to solve this problem ! Deleted cache, checked path, everythig seems to be ok ! I've checked php parameters too !
                You help is needed !! Thank you very,vevy much !
                  • 24,544 Posts
                  The usual solution is to rename ht.access to .htaccess in the MODX root, then uncomment one of the two sections that force www or non-www URLs. This solves what is really a session problem because then it doesn't matter which URL the user comes in on.
                    Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                    Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                    MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                    My MODX Extras
                    Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting