We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 40 Posts
    About a week ago I made a GitHub's Atom package for Revo development. First of all, yes, I know that Atom Editor is not exactly the right tool for this, but, it's nice to have something like that anyway. I made it for myself in a first place, because I am a front-end developer and using such things as Atom all the time (also, because I just wanted to make something for Atom).
    So, if anyone using Atom here and somehow involved in Revo development, I'm asking you for simple feedback. What should/can be added/improved, etc. A complete list of current features listed in repo's README (link above).

Thanks in advance.
      • 175 Posts
      stalemate resolution associate Reply #2, 8 years, 9 months ago
      Hi Benjamin,

I had never heard of Atom until a week ago, but with this announcement (which I saw on modx.today), I decided to give it a spin. I was up and running really fast, and although I had questions, the README file (and the screenshots) answered them.

Quote from: roman.khazizov at Jul 16, 2015, 03:00 PM
      I know that Atom Editor is not exactly the right tool for this

Maybe it's because I'm new to using Atom, but it seems like a great place for it! I tried using PHPStorm, and I know there thoughts on editors are like religious wars, but I just couldn't get into it: probably because it just didn't click with me. Given that my current tool of choice until now has been Notepad++, I think I've found something even better to upgrade!

The one thing I noticed was that even after having installed the package, I needed to restart Atom for some of the functionality to appear. If not in the documentation already (and assuming it's more than just me that had this issue), I'd suggest adding that information.

Thank you for creating and sharing this!

Regards,
      Tom
        • 24,544 Posts
        I know PhpStorm is a little difficult to get into, but I can't overstate its ability to spot errors for you. Not only is it unbelievably good at warning you about subtle PHP syntax and usage errors, but if you make a full MODX install into a project (which you can do with a couple of clicks) and do your work inside it, PhpStorm knows all the MODX classes and their methods.

It will catch misspellings, missing required arguments, using return values from methods that don't return a value, and much more. It will also prompt you with the arguments you need to use for any MODX method or function based on the PhpDoc comments in the MODX code.

I just solved a problem in an hour that would probably have taken me two weeks to find if I hadn't been able to step through the MODX processor code while running from the Manager in the PhpStorm Debugger. PhpStorm 9 now shows you the values of each variable in color right in the code as it steps through.

Maybe Atom can do all that, but I seriously doubt it.

It's not a religious issue for me, I just want to make people aware of what it can do. wink

Did I help you? Buy me a beer
          Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
          MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
          My MODX Extras
          Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
          • 40 Posts
          Quote from: stalemate at Jul 24, 2015, 03:31 AM
          Maybe it's because I'm new to using Atom, but it seems like a great place for it! I tried using PHPStorm, and I know there thoughts on editors are like religious wars, but I just couldn't get into it: probably because it just didn't click with me. Given that my current tool of choice until now has been Notepad++, I think I've found something even better to upgrade!

I think BobRay's comment describes the difference well. But, some people just can't use any IDE. I was fascinated with PHPStorm features once too, but when I actually tried to use it, it was only a week or so till I got tired from it. And yet, I agree: Some serious stuff that requires a "clean code" and collaborative work, should be done via IDE.

Thank you for you feedback! Sure, I'll add a little note about installation procedure.

Quote from: BobRay at Jul 25, 2015, 04:17 AM
          Maybe Atom can do all that, but I seriously doubt it.

In theory, it can, but the main issue in non-native apps is still a performance. And. I guess, it will be like that for a couple more years.
            • 24,544 Posts
            To be fair, PhpStorm has some annoying features as well. Upgrades always seem to cause problems for me, and the documentation can be frustrating. The settings are not as well organized as they could be. The macro support is disappointing.

Debugging a standalone script works like a dream, but trying to debug within MODX can be *very* frustrating to set up and (for me anyway) runs very slowly and sometimes crashes Apache.

For me, the pluses far outweigh the minuses, but I'm sure that's not true for everyone.
              Did I help you? Buy me a beer
              Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
              MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
              My MODX Extras
              Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting