We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 10 Posts
    bootresponsive Reply #11, 9 years ago
    @Bruno17 Are you saying that there are permission issues to /assets/components/bookmarkthis/
    hence the reason why my social bookmarks images appear broken ? If so, where/how do I fix this ?
      • 5,888 Posts
      yes, I see a 'forbidden' to your images and to your javascript under /assets/components/bookmarkthis/

Guess php is not running in cgi mode, so the php-user is not the same as the ftp-user.

You have this options:

1. Try running php in cgi-mode
      2. Change the owner of all files and folders under /assets/components/bookmarkthis/ to the ftp-owner with chown
      3. Check file-permissions and try, if setting them to 0755 does help
        -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
        • 1,154 Posts
        Ah I didn't see your discussion about permissions above. That's going to be the first issue to solve.

Ok well this is some progress at least. Yes its a bit confusing because your site is about templates, that's why I have been calling it the 'master template' to try to be clear about it. Again, you have got some kind of tool for providing the contents of each template in your site, and we could try to get the share buttons in there as well, but let's go step by step haha.

Now let me say clearly that Bruno is an expert, I am just a helper. Listen to him before me haha. I will do my best but sometimes I go the wrong way or focus on something that is a dead end.

Ok, let me try to break down where we are:

1. It looks like the shares work, I just shared your site on facebook. But the images are not working, which is kinda weird. Bruno says the problem is permissions, that gets a little hairy.

2. We can play with the location of the buttons later, right now they are on the left side because there is no css telling it to go anywhere else, so by default it just goes on the left.

3. One thing bookmarkthis doesn't do is provide the metadata required by facebook and also used by twitter. That's why when I shared it, there is no picture there. To handle this stuff you will need to put some lines of code into the head area of the same template, its metadata, like this:

<meta property="og:image" content="[[!++site_url]]assets/templates/images/yourimage.png" />
        <meta property="og:description" content="[[!+pagetitle]]" />

Let's try to get a couple more steps closer. It takes time... [ed. note: nuan88 last edited this post 9 years ago.]
          • 10 Posts
          bootresponsive Reply #14, 9 years ago
          I tried adding your metadata code above, but it didn't make any difference when I clicked on Fb share button.
          In other words, whether I add your metadata or not the end result is the same.

Also...in Security/AccessControls/UserGroups ... why is there an (anonymous) user listed there before Administrator ?
            • 10 Posts
            bootresponsive Reply #15, 9 years ago
            @Bruno17 thanks for the 3 options.

It seems options 1 and 3 involves editing files on my hosting server while
            option 2 is done directly in ModX manager.

Unfortunately, I'm not understanding how to "Change the owner of all files and folders
            under /assets/components/bookmarkthis/ to the ftp-owner with chown"
              • 10 Posts
              bootresponsive Reply #16, 9 years ago
              I just want simple FB and TW share buttons to appear on each div.menu-galery (352px X 41px)
              What is the easiest way to achieve this ?

• 1,154 Posts
                Ok. We will help you get there. Yes the permissions issue is a big barrier.

I need a little time to figure out what to do. Also I don't know if another solution will also have trouble because of this php issue.

I see you are clearer about what you want to do, that's good. You have already learned a lot, I think.

Maybe someone will jump in, or I will figure out what you can do. Its a little tricky because you want the data from that div, not from the overall site. But its doable.
                  • 1,154 Posts
                  Hi, sorry I got a little busy but here is a solution for facebook that is similar to yours.

http://forums.modx.com/thread/92482/facebook-share---not-properly-working-please-help?page=2#dis-post-512542

Its the same in that she put share buttons in different parts of the same site. But it needs some customization for your purposes. Anyway we can avoid the permissions problem, hopefully.

Pls take a look and I will try to look into this soon.