We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 290 Posts
    I just upgraded an instance of Evo 1.04 to 1.0.1, following the instructions here: http://rtfm.modx.com/display/Evo1/Upgrading

I got to step 6, and that's where my experience deviated from the anticipated. I navigated to the site root, which in this case is a subdomain I use for "development" (in quotes because I'm just a guy who knows how to use Google -- slap me if I ever refer to myself as a developer):

1. Rather than encountering the set-up dialog, my site loads. Weird. I navigate to /manager, log in, and lo and behold, V1.0.10.
    2. Can't be. Drop my cache, reload the site. Yep, it seems fine.
    3. Next, I delete the install directory.
    4. Then I drink a beer and, finally acknowledging the tickle in my brain that won't go away, I navigate to the site via my iPhone. Had to drop its cache, too, and then saw "Error". That's it, nothing else.
    5. Sigh.
    6. Back to the desktop -- flush DNS this time.
    7. Test in Safari - navigate to site. "Error". Hmmm. Navigate to /manager, log in. V1.0.10, yep. Navigate back to site. [li]Loads just fine.
    8. Test in Chrome - navigate to site, "Error". Sigh. Navigate to /manager, log in. V1.0.10, yep. Navigate back to site. [li]Loads just fine.
    9. Test in Firefox - navigate to site, "Error". Grrrr. Navigate to /manager, log in. V1.0.10, check. Navigate back to site. Loads just fine.

The address is sandbox.wesleypicotte.com. Something obviously did not go as planned with the install. Any thoughts as to what?

Thanks

UPDATE: I am reloading the original files, so navigating the address provided above is no longer valid. If you have any insight into what has occurred, please advise - thanks. [ed. note: wpicotte last edited this post 10 years, 9 months ago.]
    • Hello,

You need to run the installer after uploading the files, is there any reason you didn't complete this step?
        Patrick | Server Wrangler
        About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
        • 290 Posts
        Alright. Went back, tried it all again. Got through the install successfully this time. BUT...

Now I cannot log in. I enter my un/pw combo and...nothing. No error, no refresh. Nothing. If I do not enter a p/w, I get an error message.

I logged into phpMyAdmin to change the admin user password. Upon log-in, it reads: uncrypt>0751a8bdb74e4cf3440a413efacf444b27ec2160

I change it to e10adc3949ba59abbe56e057f20f883e, per the instructions here (which I've used successfully in the past): http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Manager_Lockout

Go back to /manager and enter p/w 123456, again per the instructions - same behavior -- no error message, no nothing.

I head back to phpMyAdmin and see uncrypt>...

Please help. Thanks.
        • Have you deleted the files in the core/cache folder? Also, for good measure, clear your browser cache.
            Frogabog- MODX Websites in Portland Oregon
            "Do yourself a favor and get a copy of "MODX - The Official Guide" by Bob Ray. Read it.
            Having server issues? These guys have MODX Hosting perfected - SkyToaster
            • 290 Posts
            This is an Evo upgrade, not Revo. I've dropped cache, yes.
            • The password structure changed with 1.0.10, so you might try adding a new user via the database to resolve the problem.
                Patrick | Server Wrangler
                About Me: Website | TweetsMODX Hosting
                • 290 Posts
                Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jul 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
                The password structure changed with 1.0.10, so you might try adding a new user via the database to resolve the problem.

Hi - thanks for the response. I actually did this earlier today following the info here: http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Manager_Lockout

No success. I verified that the new user is in the database with permissions, but the behavior at log in has not changed. It seems that if I use the proper credentials, nothing happens - no error message, but also no access. If I use incorrect credentials, the behavior is as expected (error message with lockout after the requisite number of attempts).
                  • 589 Posts
                  Quote from: wpicotte at Jul 24, 2013, 08:26 PM
                  Quote from: AMDbuilder at Jul 24, 2013, 07:46 PM
                  The password structure changed with 1.0.10, so you might try adding a new user via the database to resolve the problem.
                  Hi - thanks for the response. I actually did this earlier today following the info here: http://wiki.modxcms.com/index.php/Manager_Lockout

This info is outdated for 1.0.10, password encryption method in database changed so those magic values are invalid.

No success. I verified that the new user is in the database with permissions, but the behavior at log in has not changed. It seems that if I use the proper credentials, nothing happens - no error message, but also no access. If I use incorrect credentials, the behavior is as expected (error message with lockout after the requisite number of attempts).

Is your Manager user tied with the valid email under your control?
                  Can you simply use "forgot your password?" link?
                    • 290 Posts
                    Quote from: danilocuculic at Jul 24, 2013, 08:41 PM
                    This info is outdated for 1.0.10, password encryption method in database changed so those magic values are invalid.

Is there updated documentation available?

Is your Manager user tied with the valid email under your control? Can you simply use "forgot your password?" link?
                    Yes, and I tried this, as well. The link takes me back to the log-in page and the same behavior.
                      • 589 Posts
                      Quote from: wpicotte at Jul 24, 2013, 09:14 PM
                      Is there updated documentation available?

Quick search didn't produce anything (I'm on custom 1.0.8 so haven't checked new implementation specifics yet).

Is your Manager user tied with the valid email under your control? Can you simply use "forgot your password?" link?
                      Yes, and I tried this, as well. The link takes me back to the log-in page and the same behavior.

Hmmm, password reset should work if user exists & isn't blocked. Try to reset the following fields to zero (with PhpMyAdmin):
                      user_attributes.blocked / blockeduntil / blockedafter / failedlogincount

If everything above fails:
                      http://forums.modx.com/thread/84073/critical-mgr-and-web-users-can-039-t-login-if-passwords-contain-certain-characters#dis-post-464588