We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 20 Posts
    WAMP on Windows XP pro SP3. HostMonster

Hypothetically, lets say I have completed my website (locally) and I am ready to upload all my work to my host. If I upload the entire folder (everything in C:\wamp\www\modx), will that work? Or will I overwrite important settings in the config files?

What’s the best way to develop locally and upload to my host?

Scott
      MODx 1.0.2 Rev 6066 // Apache version 2.2.14 (Unix) // PHP version 5.2.11 // MySQL version 5.1.42 // Architecture x86_64 // Operating system: Linux
      • 12 Posts
      Just upload everything in your modx folder. I usually zip it, upload to host and extract.
      After that change database config to your host setting. It’s manager/includes/config.inc.php.
      Dont forget to change the path for file manager in modx manager so you could browse asset from there.

Cheers.
        • 2,877 Posts
        1 http://forums.modx.com/thread/1418/where-is-it-written#dis-post-10621
        2 Move over the files and import database (SQL) on your host (phpMyAdmin)
        3a Update manager/includes/config.inc.php as cevarief mentioned
        OR
        3b Run the installer in upgrade mode (transfer back the Install folder)
        ---> DON'T install anything - leave checkboxes unchecked!
        4 Now correct the paths for File Manager and Resource Browser in Manager Options ("PHP info" helpful)
        5 MODx will remind you: Register Globals should be turned off, config.inc.php CHMOD 0444 and install folder erased.

// #1 - It doesn't hurt to disable the plugins and modules and re-activate them back later. +
        Quote from: BobRay

Turn Friendly URLs off before moving the site and don't turn them back on until everything else is working (back end, front end, and file browser).
        wink [ed. note: mrhaw last edited this post 12 years, 5 months ago.]
          @hawproductions | http://mrhaw.com/

Infograph: MODX Advanced Install in 7 steps:
          http://forums.modx.com/thread/96954/infograph-modx-advanced-install-in-7-steps

Recap: Portland, OR (PDX) MODX CMS Meetup, Oct 6, 2015. US Bancorp Tower
          http://mrhaw.com/modx_portland_oregon_pdx_modx_cms_meetup_oct_2015_us_bancorp_tower
          • 24,544 Posts
          I would add: Turn Friendly URLs off before moving the site and don’t turn them back on until everything else is working (back end, front end, and file browser).
            Did I help you? Buy me a beer
            Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
            MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
            My MODX Extras
            Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
            • 20 Posts
            Many thanks. grin That is really good stuff. You all even covered the database part and I forgot to mention it. smiley Sincerely, Thanks.
              Scott
              MODx 1.0.2 Rev 6066 // Apache version 2.2.14 (Unix) // PHP version 5.2.11 // MySQL version 5.1.42 // Architecture x86_64 // Operating system: Linux
              • 20 Posts
              mrhaw, I follow you on the backup too. backup, backup, backup. tks again. smiley
                Scott
                • 98 Posts
                Scotte68, I have EXACTLY the setup you have described. I moved my site (first ever using MODx) to HostMonster from WampServer 2.0 a couple of months ago. I encountered no challenges specific to coming from Windows and WAMP or going to HostMonster, just some confusion over relative paths that were a bit different from the development side to the production side and the user name and password that MySQL on HostMonster required.

You will find a nice module called BkupMODx among the MODx Extras. I spent a lot of time trying to get this to work. It never did, always terminating the MySQL backup creation a few tables short of the whole database. The debugging and discovery process forced me to learn how site backup, recovery and verification are accomplished, however, so it was not time wasted. I hear that Revolution will include backup & recovery capability, so I recommend you not spend time with BkupMODx.

That’s about it, except to say that it is very cool to be able to continue development directly upon the production site, using the MODx Manager to hide preliminary work until it’s ready for publication. BTW, a nasty thunderstorm trundled through while I was engrossed in some new work. Despite power hits that took out my cable modem and router a few times (my PC is on a UPS), I experienced no corruption of my MODx 1.0.2 site whatsoever. So I’m not often firing up WampServer any more, just when I need to tweak a site from pre-MODx days.
                  I looked just like that in 1964.
                  • 20 Posts
                  Halfnium,

Many thanks for taking the time to reply. I sincerely appreciate your comments.

B.Rgds,
                  Scotte
                    Scott