We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 168 Posts
    Hi,

Can anyone say if Articles is supported (or works with minimal/no issues) in MODX 2.4.3? I have noticed it is no longer being developed.

It is a little ironic that we want clients to use MODX instead of wordpress yet if there is a blog involved there is no proper or recommended simple way to set that up.

Thanks.
      • 833 Posts
      Hey pixelstation, since MODX 2.3+, Articles has been buggy. Most people now use Collections with getResources/pdoResources to list articles, Archivist for archives, Tagger for tags, etc. Collections is actively developed by The Boxer, a MODX insider.

I'll admit that putting some of the pieces together for the first time can be a little tedious. Luckily there's been a rise of full-featured blogging solutions for MODX. I'll mention two solid options: Quill, authored by me and Flatso, by Wayne Rudy (a MODX insider).

Check out Quill's official online demo for more. You can install it to see how it puts all the pieces together. It's got a very easy to follow user-guide, so you won't break a sweat getting used to it.

Let me know if you have any questions. [ed. note: treigh last edited this post 8 years, 1 month ago.]
        A MODx Fanatic
        • 168 Posts
        Thanks a lot Treigh. I will look at Quill. At first glance though, there is no mention of comments. Is it supported, or at least can I manually add Quip comments to the posts?
          • 1,145 Posts
          RE: pixelstation
          Quip is independent from Articles and works with anything that has an id.
            TinymceWrapper: Complete back/frontend content solution.
            Harden your MODX site by passwording your three main folders: core, manager, connectors and renaming your assets (thank me later!)
            5 ways to sniff / hack your own sites; even with renamed/hidden folders, burst them all up, to see how secure you are not.
            • 833 Posts
            @donshakespeare is correct, adding Quip won't be an issue. You can easily customize your Quip forms using Quill, just look at the pattern library for a quick start.

Quill comes with Disqus, which is widely used these days and requires minimal setup. If you opt for Disqus, all you'll need is Disqus' Shortname.
              A MODx Fanatic
              • 5,888 Posts
              Have a Look at Tickets:
              https://bezumkin.ru/modx/tickets/

you need to google-translate the page
                -------------------------------

you can buy me a beer, if you like MIGX

http://webcmsolutions.de/migx.html

Thanks!
                • 293 Posts
                I think flatso is probably one of the quickest and easiest options
                https://modx.com/extras/package/flatsoblogtheme
                  I'm lead developer at Digital Penguin Creative Studio in Hong Kong. https://www.digitalpenguin.hk
                  Check out the MODX tutorial series on my blog at https://www.hkwebdeveloper.com
                  • 168 Posts
                  Thanks everyone, for the suggestions
                    • 89 Posts
                    Hi pixelstation

I realise we're a way down the road here, but have you found Quill to be a robust blogging solution?
                    Like yourself, I have found this to be a major issue with MODX.

And with reference to Quill, it appears to be a good option but like most other things in MODX, the instruction is
                    sparse and just painfully woolly at times (for me anyway).
                    That said, as these projects are, after all, open source, they are, despite my gripings, genuinely appreciated.
                    Of course my knowledge (or lack of it) is without doubt also a contributing factor too, of course.

However I find myself unable to utilise certain extras, often on account of their intricacies and/or vague instruction.
                    I just find myself floundering in the MODX surf too many times.

I was therefore just wondering whether you may have adopted Quill and if so, might there be a way for me to 'acquire' some kind of more in-depth,
                    step-by-step instruction on how to use this extra going forward.
                    For example, I have found something as basic as displaying the Author's name a source of great frustration.

Any help/pointers would honestly be greatly appreciated.

Apologies to all for the negative vibe.

But many thanks all the same

[ed. note: geordiechris last edited this post 5 years, 6 months ago.]
                      • 833 Posts
                      Quote from: geordiechris at Oct 03, 2018, 09:42 AM
                      Hi pixelstation

I realise we're a way down the road here, but have you found Quill to be a robust blogging solution?
                      Like yourself, I have found this to be a major issue with MODX.

And with reference to Quill, it appears to be a good option but like most other things in MODX, the instruction is
                      sparse and just painfully woolly at times (for me anyway).
                      That said, as these projects are, after all, open source, they are, despite my gripings, genuinely appreciated.
                      Of course my knowledge (or lack of it) is without doubt also a contributing factor too, of course.

However I find myself unable to utilise certain extras, often on account of their intricacies and/or vague instruction.
                      I just find myself floundering in the MODX surf too many times.

I was therefore just wondering whether you may have adopted Quill and if so, might there be a way for me to 'acquire' some kind of more in-depth,
                      step-by-step instruction on how to use this extra going forward.
                      For example, I have found something as basic as displaying the Author's name a source of great frustration.

Any help/pointers would honestly be greatly appreciated.

Apologies to all for the negative vibe.

But many thanks all the same

@geordiechris I hear you. For what it's worth, I'm planning to release a more stable and streamlined version of Quill in the coming weeks. This will hopefully address most of your concerns.
                        A MODx Fanatic