We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!

Answered Target not set

• 24,544 Posts
    I think this may be browser cache/cookie issue. Try logging in to the manager with your browser in private or incognito mode.
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 79 Posts
      I've just upgraded my site from 2.3.1-pl to 2.4.2-pl using UpgradeMODX. I am now getting the "target not set" error if I try and drag and drop to rearrange resources in the tree. This was fine in 2.3.1-pl.

These were the success messages from the install:

Config file successfully written.

Config file permissions successfully updated.

Successfully upgraded table for class transport.modTransportProvider
      Added new `active` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Added new `priority` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Added new `properties` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Successfully upgraded table for class modCategory
      Added new `rank` column to ``modx_categories``.

Added new index on `rank` for table ``modx_categories``.

Successfully created table for class modAccessNamespace

Successfully upgraded table for class modAccessResourceGroup
      Dropped index `principal_class` on table ``modx_access_resource_groups``.

Added new index on `principal_class` for table ``modx_access_resource_groups``.

Successfully upgraded table for class modTemplateVarResourceGroup
      Added new index on `tmplvar_template` for table ``modx_site_tmplvar_access``.

Successfully converted user profile country names to ISO codes.
      0 updated

This was the error messages from the install:

Error updating table for class modManagerLog
      Array
      (
      [0] => 00000
      [1] =>
      [2] =>
      )

I've not tried reinstalling and meddling with settings as I hoped UpgradeMODX would work it's magic. Does this shed any light?
        • 79 Posts
        I realised that I posted earlier from the wrong (old) account, so have deleted the message and posted with my active account.

Bob, I've just tried with incognito and that made no difference I'm afraid.

I've also just tried to re-install and force it to check the box "files are in place" but this hasn't worked either.

I should have mentioned before, that I actually copied the whole site and database to a new location on the same server. I then ran the 2.3.1-pl advanced set-up to ensure it was happy, then I ran upgradeMODX to update the site to 2.4.2pl. Perhaps this issue occurred before the upgrade. I'll try the steps again when I have more time to see where it actually happened.
          • 24,544 Posts
          Are you running PHP 7 by any chance? If so, that could be the issue.

I've seen other reports of this in 2.4.2 that re unrelated to Upgrade MODX (which simply puts the files in place and launches Setup), so I don't think it's UGM that's causing it.
            My MODX Extras
            • 79 Posts
            Hi Bob,

Just come back to this after some time out.

I've just updated to 2.4.3-pl using UpgradeMODX and still have the target not set issue when dragging and dropping. I'm running PHP Version 5.4.19.

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks.

• 24,544 Posts
              The only thing I can think of is that one or more resources has an invalid parent. This happens sometimes when you drag and drop resources a lot in the tree. You can check the parent fields in the modx_site_content table. SiteCheck will check for you, though I can't guarantee that that's your problem. [ed. note: BobRay last edited this post 7 years, 10 months ago.]
                My MODX Extras
                • 79 Posts
                I've just come around to trying this from 2.3.1pl to 2.5.0-pl

I'd moved the site to another folder, but this time I checked that all was good before upgrading. I could drag and drop in the tree with no problems.

However, after upgrade I get the "target not set error" and can't drag and drop in the tree.

Here's the installation summary. There was an error:

Array
                (
                [0] => 00000
                [1] =>
                [2] =>
                )

Not sure if this is relevant.

Installation Summary

Core installation was successful. Click next to complete the installation process.
                (scroll to bottom)

Toggle Success Messages | Toggle Warnings

Config file successfully written.

Config file permissions successfully updated.

Added new `active` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Added new `priority` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Added new `properties` column to ``modx_transport_providers``.

Added new `rank` column to ``modx_categories``.

Added new index on `rank` for table ``modx_categories``.

Dropped index `principal_class` on table ``modx_access_resource_groups``.

Added new index on `principal_class` for table ``modx_access_resource_groups``.

Successfully upgraded table for class modTemplateVarResourceGroup
                    Added new index on `tmplvar_template` for table ``modx_site_tmplvar_access``.

Array
                    (
                    [0] => 00000
                    [1] =>
                    [2] =>
                    )

Successfully converted user profile country names to ISO codes.
                    0 updated

Successfully upgraded table for class modUser
                    Added new `createdon` column to ``modx_users``.

Legacy file clean up complete.
                    Removed 560 file(s) and 65 folder(s).

• 79 Posts
                  I have tried again today to upgrade my site from 2.3.1pl, but still running into problems.

I decided to go step by step and upgrade kind of incrementally.

I installed upgradeMODX and successfully upgraded to 2.3.2pl, then I thought I would make the leap to 2.3.5pl. Which was a success with no errors, but as soon as I try and drag and drop in the manager it get the same "Target not set" error.

I tried to update to 2.4.2pl which was a success, with the manager error message:

Array
                      (
                      [0] => 00000
                      [1] =>
                      [2] =>
                      )

and now when I edit a TV I get the error: Property set not found with ID Default.

I've gone back to the start again and try every update and it falls over at 2.3.4-pl. This is where the drag and drop "Target not set" error comes in. I upgraded back to 2.3.3pl and it's fine, so 2.3.4pl breaks drag and drop for me.

I did look at the changes log and notice this in 2.3.4, perhaps this is what's broken it.

"- Improve drag & drop resource sorting"

2.3.5pl claims "Drag and Drop Tree Menu Fix"
                  https://modx.com/blog/2015/06/25/revolution-2.3.5/

But I still get "target not set" error having upgraded to 2.3.5pl.

If I keep going to 2.4.0pl

Then it prevents me from logging in anymore, just returns "1"

<div class="x-panel x-panel-noborder">
                  <div class="x-panel-bwrap">
                  <div class="x-panel-body x-panel-body-noheader">
                  <h2>My Website</h2>
                  <br class="clear">
                  <p class="error">1</p>
                  </div>
                  </div>
                  </div>

Not sure what to do now. :-(

Could it be that my manager folder is not called "manager"? It's obfuscated. That's the only thing I can think makes my install untraditional. [ed. note: dave-b last edited this post 7 years, 9 months ago.]
                    • 24,544 Posts
                    Are you using the UpgradeMODX extra? It should handle the renamed Manager folder, and it will delete all the files in the core/cache directory, which can eliminate a lot of upgrade problems.

I've also sometimes had to clear my browser cache a cookies to get rid of anomalies in the Manager after an upgrade, usually caused by a leftover cookie from an earlier version.
                      My MODX Extras
                      • 79 Posts
                      Quote from: BobRay at Jul 26, 2016, 04:26 AM
                      Are you using the UpgradeMODX extra? It should handle the renamed Manager folder, and it will delete all the files in the core/cache directory, which can eliminate a lot of upgrade problems.

I've also sometimes had to clear my browser cache a cookies to get rid of anomalies in the Manager after an upgrade, usually caused by a leftover cookie from an earlier version.

Hey Bob,

Thanks for you reply. I've used upgradeMODX with all my testing. Again it's another fantastic tool from you. Without it I would not have been able to so easily run through each installation.

As for my issues, I've tried clearing the core cache, using incognito and two difference PC's and two different browsers with no joy.

The login issue in 2.4.0pl doesn't happen in other versions I've tried up to 2.5.0pl, so I'm going to set that one aside. I only wanted to upgrade step by step to see where it introduces the "target not set" error.

The "target not set" error is introduced in 2.3.4pl and not fixed for me in following versions up to 2.5.0pl. :-(

[ed. note: dave-b last edited this post 7 years, 8 months ago.]