We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 24,544 Posts
    The version_list thing is also caused by either the repo or GitHub timing out. Hitting the "back" button, logging in, and reloading the page will usually fix it. I think I need to let people set the timeouts with properties. You'd think 5 seconds would be enough, but often it isn't.
      Did I help you? Buy me a beer
      Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
      MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
      My MODX Extras
      Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting
      • 7 Posts
      Quote from: BobRay at Oct 19, 2015, 10:21 PM
      The version_list thing is also caused by either the repo or GitHub timing out. Hitting the "back" button, logging in, and reloading the page will usually fix it. I think I need to let people set the timeouts with properties. You'd think 5 seconds would be enough, but often it isn't.

Hi, thanks for your prompt response! I did however tried it without any luck. the error is a bit misleading, so I am running out of options. Any other hints? many thanks!
        • 7 Posts
        Quote from: sottwell at Oct 18, 2015, 06:59 AM
        A few times I've had it timeout on the access to the remote repositories that it checks for available versions. Usually I wait a minute and try again, and it works.

Hi, I always get the "Error: (GitHub) name lookup timed out" no matter what I do, or how long do I wait sad any other suggestions? many thanks!
          • 24,544 Posts
          Try changing these lines in the snippet (around line 112)

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT_MS, 3500);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 5);

To this:

curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_CONNECTTIMEOUT_MS, 5500);
          curl_setopt($ch, CURLOPT_TIMEOUT, 10);

See if that makes any difference.

My MODX Extras
            • 7 Posts
            Quote from: BobRay at Oct 21, 2015, 04:43 AM

To this:

Hi!
            Okay, so I did try that on the modx revo 2.2.9...it initially went through the first screen with the 5 latest available versions to upgrade to, I chose the latest one, then the wizard continued, but it did NOT pick up the latest version, it just went through the "upgrade/install" with the 2.2.9 version! so I was back at square one when I logged back in.
            Logged back out, then in, tried again to use the widget, to no avail. back to the initial error message posted regarding the ugm_no_version_list sad I'm heartbroken! I'm running out of ideas! thanks again!
              • 24,544 Posts
              Sorry about the trouble. I'm working on a new version, but it may be a while before it's out. I assume that you're using the latest version.

Try changing the &interval property of the snippet to 60 seconds and clearing the site cache. Then wait more than 60 seconds and load the dashboard (click on the MODX logo).

If that doesn't work, you might also try uninstalling, removing, re-downloading, and re-installing UpgradeMODX (you'll have to change the snippet properties again after it's installed).
                My MODX Extras
                • 7 Posts
                Quote from: BobRay at Oct 23, 2015, 05:36 AM
                Sorry about the trouble. I'm working on a new version, but it may be a while before it's out. I assume that you're using the latest version.

Try changing the &interval property of the snippet to 60 seconds and clearing the site cache. Then wait more than 60 seconds and load the dashboard (click on the MODX logo).

If that doesn't work, you might also try uninstalling, removing, re-downloading, and re-installing UpgradeMODX (you'll have to change the snippet properties again after it's installed).

HI there!
                I guess I am gonna have to wait for the next release...nothing I tried (as suggested above) seems to be working *sigh*
                Here's hoping a new version is out soon! thanks anyway!
                  • 322 Posts

To this:

I bumped the times even higher, and no luck. The "versionlist" file just isn't getting created. I checked the curl settings on this and another site for which the script works, and the only difference is that, on the site that works, there are two extra protocols listed for curl, smb and smbs. Would that make any difference?
                    • 322 Posts
                    Quote from: rainbowtiger at Oct 26, 2015, 12:05 PM

To this:

I bumped the times even higher, and no luck. The "versionlist" file just isn't getting created. If I install that file from another site, then it proceeds normally. I checked the curl settings on this and another site for which the script works, and the only difference is that, on the site that works, there are two extra protocols listed for curl, smb and smbs. Would that make any difference?
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      I don't really know, but it seems unlikely. AFAIK, the code is just using the HTTPS protocol, though I'm not an expert on the internal workings of cURL or the GitHub API.

This is all really strange, because you should get an error message if the code doesn't get the versionlist from GitHub, or if it can't write the versionlist file. I don't know what could be happening.

The upcoming version will abort earlier if the versionlist file isn't there, but that may not help you if it's *never* written.
                        My MODX Extras