We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 15 Posts
    I just did a fresh install of the latest stable MODX (2.3.3) and am attempting to use the Flexibility 5 site package and experiencing a ton of issues, the most frustrating of which is not being able to locate any clear documentation...does anyone here have experience with this? Just one example: the theme comes with an Orbit slider, but I cannot find anything in the manager where this can be configured at all. In addition, the manager seems to lock up badly with every login...anyone have any tips/advice for this? Thanks.
      • 1,078 Posts
      Flexibility 5 is based on the Foundation 5 framework. http://foundation.zurb.com

Though, with flexibility you probably should not have to concern yourself to much with the grid itself.

I have not worked with Flexibility 5, but I suspect that first your create a resource (a webpage), then see what template variables are available to that resource. One should be something like "Add Slider", or something to that affect. From there, there should be some form of MIGx TV that allows you to add slides, and be presented with fields to enter what goes in or on the slide.

Orbit, though still working in earlier versions has been depreciated by Zurb Foundation. Though I never experienced any issues with Orbit slider, many others on the Foundation forum did. There are a host of other, equally as good if not better sliders available such as owl slider.

I work with Foundation consistently now, and simply build my own sites around it.
        • 1,078 Posts
        Here is a link to info on the Docs for Flexibility. http://rtfm.modx.com/extras/revo/flexibility
          • 1,078 Posts
          The Slider items Template Variable (called 'multiItemsGrid') will not work after install, you need to open the 'multiItemsGrid' Template Variable, and re-save it.
            • 1,078 Posts
            Regarding the lockup when you log in?

What do you mean by lock up? Does it just hang? Are you able to log in but then there is no manager (blank screen), or there are parts of the manager, but perhaps some parts are missing... like the resource tree on the left, or the menu bar at the top?

There are many posts on forum regarding manager issues with 2.3.3 and manager issues. As far as I can tell, much of this has to do with the hosting. Shared hosting environments can be a bit dicey when it comes to MODx. MODx-friendly hosting is your best bet.http://bobsguides.com/modx-friendly-hosts.html

Before switching hosting — first try to turn of the compress css and js in the system settings. If you are able to a least get logged in and get to the system settings, find compress_css and compress_js and change those values to "No". Then clear the cache using the menu item at the top Manage > Clear Cache.

If you simply are unable to log in and get to the system settings to make this change, you can change it in the database using phpMyAdmin. There is some info about doing this at Bob's Guides
            http://bobsguides.com/modx-installation-faq.html See question third in the FAQ list: I've upgraded MODx and the Manager is all messed up. What now?

Basically you log out and edit the modx_system_settings table in PhpMyAdmin. Find compress_js and change the value to 0,then delete the core/cache/system_settings/config.cache.php file and log back in.

I do this with both the css and js, though Bob is only recommending it for the js in this post.
              • 15 Posts
              Thanks for the responses...I am checking out some possible solutions for the lockups in the Manager. So far, seems to have helped.

Regarding this:

The Slider items Template Variable (called 'multiItemsGrid') will not work after install, you need to open the 'multiItemsGrid' Template Variable, and re-save it.

I have looked over and over and do not see "multiItemsGrid" anywhere, but I will keep looking.

I will keep looking...I feel confident in wanting to utilize Foundation 5 for the site (even though it does not support IE7 or 8, which I am for some ridiculous reason anxious about totally dropping support for) but I want a responsive framework.

If anyone has any further suggestions as to where I can dig up documentation for this latest version of Flexibility, please let me know.

Thanks again.
                • 1,078 Posts
                Have you checked the "Elements" Tree on the left of the screen, in the Template Variable Category?

Grasping at straws here, but maybe check the Nav Menu for anything that says MIGx, and see if it's listed there.
                Also—check your Extras to make sure that MIGx is installed. I'm pretty sure that menno used MIGx or was using MIGx to drive/populate a lot of those optional items like the Orbit Slider

Menno Pietersen (http://designfromwithin.com) built Flexibility. I don't see documentation on his site though. The only real instruction I could find was at MODx docs. Here's a link to his YouTube for Flexibility 4 – which may or may not help. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccUNX9YK-aM
                  • 1,078 Posts
                  If MIGx is not installed, you'd need to go get it and install it. Or even perform an update.

Although — this should not affect whether the TV shows up in the tree though. If MIGx weren't installed, you'd just get errors, or the TV just wouldn't function.

Not knowing when Flex5 was posted, more than likely, there may have been updates to MIGx.

Hope this helps.
                    • 15 Posts
                    ^Thanks very much...I have MIGx installed, but see nothing related to a slider.

I cannot even get any content to show on the site or publish a page, and with no documentation as a guideline, not really sure where to start. I tried posting at the github and even contacting Menno via e-mail and have not received any response at all. If I cannot get this working I may just download Foundation 5 and build out my own templates from scratch. In addition, I will likely contact the host (using a Cpanel account with GoDaddy hosting) and if they cannot assist me with the slow speed and time outs, I might need to switch hosts.

Again, thanks much for taking the time to respond...if you think of anything else I might be missing, please let me know.
                      • 1,078 Posts
                      I can empathize with your frustration.

First, I would ignore Flexibility for the moment and confirm that you have a working install of MODx. I can't tell from your last post if you are unable to publish any pages or just pages using flexibility templates.

Trying working without any Flexibility in the mix. Create a new template. Through in some html. Create a new resource with that new template applied. Publish. Basically, see if MODx is OK and working.

If you can diagnose that MODx is OK, then maybe Flexibility isn't—at which point: you can determine whether to pursue feedback from Menno, or simply grab a copy of Foundation and start building what you want.