We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Hello everyone,

I have installed Modx on a new website that I'm building and for the second time I'm having a blank page when I go to website.com/manager. The first time it happened I reinstalled modx on the site. But this time, I am a little further on the development and it really bothers me to restart everything or change for Wordpress.

So I really need help here. How can I bring back the manager ? It was working the day before and the day after no more manager. I only made css changes before and some javascript and I was still accessing the manager until the next morning when I tried to come back to the manager.

I've already searched the forums for the possible causes but none of the solutions given helped.

Thank you for your insights and help.

Best,
    Merry

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 1,078 Posts
      On you on shared hosting? Contact the host and see if they can review the server error log and determine what's going on.

Same issue I was having. Manager would go blank, then a few minutes later, I would have access to it again, but only momentarily. GoDaddy determined that my IP was getting temporarily blocked because too many requests were being made. GoDaddy changed something on their end, and now all works OK.

I have had the best luck with MODx running at MODx-friendly hosting. I highly recommend Skytoaster. Bob has a list of others too.

http://bobsguides.com/modx-friendly-hosts.html
        • 7 Posts
        Hello mmcgee ,

Thank you very much for your answer and the link. Yes, I am on a French shared hosting and they are not the quickest to answer to support questions. I've already asked them if there is something that that is happening on their side that is making this happen.
        I have another Modx website that is perfectly working but it is on an American shared hosting, so I guess as you said that it is a hosting problem.

I will let it known if that's the issue. Thanks.

Best regards,
        Merry
          • 94 Posts
          Are all your permissions set correctly? Have you checked the config file to make sure all your paths are set correctly?

I now Bob has written a plugin you can use to check and make sure you got it all correctly setup. Unfortunately i couldn't find it on his website right now. But maybe someone else could point to it.
            --------------------------------------
            www.williamastrom.se
          • Be sure to check if compress css/js is off in your system settings. On some shared hosts, this will cause blank manager pages.
              Author of zero books. Formerly of many strange things. Pairs well with meats. Conversations are magical experiences. He's dangerous around code but a markup magician. BlogTwitterLinkedInGitHub
              • 1,078 Posts
              Is this the link of Bob's you were referring to?
              http://bobsguides.com/sitecheck-promo.html
                • 7 Posts
                Thank you for your insights.

I did put my permissions correctly and I went on my database, put the compress css/js to off but nothing changed so I put it back to on.
                I don't understand why my paths would be incorrect cause I did a new install and everything was working fine, then the manger went blank out of nowhere. This happened on 2 different installs.

I took a look at Bob's plugin but I'll wait a little see if I really should buy it.

My config paths are set like this:

if (!defined('MODX_CORE_PATH')) {
                $modx_core_path= '/home/ftp-id/www/core/';
                define('MODX_CORE_PATH', $modx_core_path);
                }
                if (!defined('MODX_PROCESSORS_PATH')) {
                $modx_processors_path= '/home/ftp-id/www/core/model/modx/processors/';
                define('MODX_PROCESSORS_PATH', $modx_processors_path);
                }
                if (!defined('MODX_CONNECTORS_PATH')) {
                $modx_connectors_path= '/home/ftp-id/www/connectors/';
                $modx_connectors_url= '/connectors/';
                define('MODX_CONNECTORS_PATH', $modx_connectors_path);
                define('MODX_CONNECTORS_URL', $modx_connectors_url);
                }
                if (!defined('MODX_MANAGER_PATH')) {
                $modx_manager_path= '/home/ftp-id/www/manager/';
                $modx_manager_url= '/manager/';
                define('MODX_MANAGER_PATH', $modx_manager_path);
                define('MODX_MANAGER_URL', $modx_manager_url);
                }
                if (!defined('MODX_BASE_PATH')) {
                $modx_base_path= '/home/ftp-id/www/';
                $modx_base_url= '/';
                define('MODX_BASE_PATH', $modx_base_path);
                define('MODX_BASE_URL', $modx_base_url);
                }
                  • 1,078 Posts
                  Does you server have an error log? Depending on your server/host, it may be something you have to enable from within your control panel. In my case, those errors, which were consistently the same is what helped support fix the issue.

Your case may be entirely different though. And honestly, I'm not even sure that goDaddy actually did anything on their end. They seemed as stumped as me – which is not a good place to be:). At the same time I waiting on goDaddy support to figure something out, I changed the name of my ht.access that modx installed to .htaccess and then the site worked and has worked from that point on.

• 7 Posts
                    I changed the ht.access to .htaccess but still the same.
                    I've been going through my hosting manager and they give me access to logs ans stats but not the error logs. The links to the error logs are not available.
                    I'll have to wait for their answer.

They don't provide modx straight on as a CMS you can install so I'm afraid they'll be as stumped as the people you had on goDaddy. smiley
                    I just hope I don't lose too many days on this.
                      • 1,078 Posts
                      Were your able to resolve your issues.

This post made 7 months ago by Jesse Atomic, Reply #22 kind of sums it up. http://forums.modx.com/thread/92290/modx-2-3-website-breaks-after-resource-save?page=3#dis-post-505069