We launched new forums in March 2019—join us there. In a hurry for help with your website? Get Help Now!
    • 7 Posts
    Hi!

I've tried to change background image by replacing image file on FTP. However if I open my site or even exact url of the image I see the old one. If I open the image from FTP - I see the new. So when I try to watch the new image in any browser I see the old one even it is not discoverable on FTP anymore. The same story if I upload the image from File Manager.

I'm new to MODX and maybe I don't understand something with caching. I've tried to clear cache in Manager - didn't help. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Simon

This question has been answered by multiple community members. See the first response.

• 1,154 Posts
      It could be your browser cache. If the name of the file and the folder are precisely the same then it would have overwritten the file, if you are still seeing it, then it must be in browser cache.
        • 7 Posts
        Quote from: nuan88 at Mar 02, 2015, 01:07 PM
        It could be your browser cache. If the name of the file and the folder are precisely the same then it would have overwritten the file, if you are still seeing it, then it must be in browser cache.

I've tried to clear browser cache or open site in browser where I haven't open it yet. So I'm sure that it is not browser problem.
          • 1,154 Posts
          and the precisely same url is getting different images in ftp and regular? Hmm I have seen some lag when making changes in designs before, but clearing cache should solve them.

Again, if the one image file has overwritten the other, then the overwritten one can only come from a cache somewhere, because the picture file doesn't even exist anymore.

Could it be a cache from your hoster? Does ftp have a cache? I just don't see how this is possible.
          • Can you post a URL to the page in question?
              Studying MODX in the desert - http://sottwell.com
              Tips and Tricks from the MODX Forums and Slack Channels - http://modxcookbook.com
              Join the Slack Community - http://modx.org
              • 1,154 Posts
              In my experience sometimes design changes can be stubborn to update, but they just need time. I have gotten very frustrated many times, and I learned to logout and chill for a while, usually the situation is fixed when I check back.
                • 7 Posts
                Quote from: nuan88 at Mar 02, 2015, 01:23 PM
                and the precisely same url is getting different images in ftp and regular? Hmm I have seen some lag when making changes in designs before, but clearing cache should solve them.

Again, if the one image file has overwritten the other, then the overwritten one can only come from a cache somewhere, because the picture file doesn't even exist anymore.

Could it be a cache from your hoster? Does ftp have a cache? I just don't see how this is possible.

Yes, path is correct. I've tried incorrect path - modx show no image. I don't see any hoster settings about cache. I don't think that it is hoster problem. However it may be.
                  • 7 Posts
                  Quote from: sottwell at Mar 02, 2015, 02:45 PM
                  Can you post a URL to the page in question?

For now it is offline. May be you can tell me what code do you want to look or something else?
                    • 1,154 Posts
                    Susan is right, pls give us the image path or website link so we can check for you.
                      • 24,544 Posts
                      Try deleting all files in the core/cache directory. There may be an image cache that clearing the MODX site cache doesn't affect.

Can you paste the code that displays the image?
                        Did I help you? Buy me a beer
                        Get my Book: MODX:The Official Guide
                        MODX info for everyone: http://bobsguides.com/modx.html
                        My MODX Extras
                        Bob's Guides is now hosted at A2 MODX Hosting